• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

240 tune vs 270 tune

The problem I see with the PM tunes is finding a muffler quiet enough to listen to all day long. Quiet enough AND makes power. I am NOT wearing earplugs.
Plus, in Vermont it is @$600 dollar fine for loud exhaust.

The "muffler police" are becoming a greater presence out on the trail. My buddy has a 225/250/270 ( precision tune I think ) package with a stock muffler. It runs good at 225 all day long. He uses the other tunes sparingly but for the occasional lake blast at 270 it works good. I think a modstock muffler would get by unless they are inspecting the outlet as well. The modstock muffler on my 1100 has passed the muffler police at trail speed. I know it is louder at full throttle.

I plan on going with the 2.5 hurricane full body muffler. Not those small diameter mufflers.

The problem I see with the PM tunes is finding a muffler quiet enough to listen to all day long. Quiet enough AND makes power. I am NOT wearing earplugs.
Plus, in Vermont it is @$600 dollar fine for loud exhaust.
Most of the trail mufflers are louder between idle and 5000rpm. After that it’s stock sound.

Most of the trail mufflers are louder between idle and 5000rpm. After that it’s stock sound.
What is considered a "trail" muffler and what is considered a "performance" muffler?
I have a sled with an advertised performance muffler. Matched to the tune bundle from same supplier. Full bodied and the heat shields bolt to it. It is louder everywhere, not just below 5000 rpm.
Some can put up with it. Not me anymore. I rode with earplugs for years.
Riding the stock Sidewinder is so nice and quiet. With a good helmet my ears don't ring at the end of the day
I would love to find a performance muffler that is quiet enough to ride all day and still make power.
I had one that was quiet but did not make power.
I think that power without noise might be asking too much.

Maybe I am getting too old......

I have the TD 290 17psi max tune and went from the turbo force 2.5 which for me was too loud to the 3” stock mod and it sounds deeper and only a tad louder at idle but once you are moving you can barely hear it. And I haven’t lost any rpm’s after changing the muffler. Yes it is expensive but well worth it

your numbers are way off!!

below is a screenshot, $1100 all in for 270HP

TD bundle.JPG

Still need bov and map upgrades

Still need bov and map upgrades
you dont need map upgrades for every tune. Hurricane has 240R,270R and 290 which utilize your stock map sensor. Ecotrail and powertrail and max17(not maxspool17) can be run with stock map sensor. Superspool hurricane tunes require 3 or 4 bar sensor as well as maxspool series of tunes from TD. Blowoff valve is a good upgrade but not required on 240 tune or ecotrail and powertrail tunes. Some leak early from factory and some dont, only way to confirm is with boost test but either way your only adding $150 to the above totals

What is considered a "trail" muffler and what is considered a "performance" muffler?
I have a sled with an advertised performance muffler. Matched to the tune bundle from same supplier. Full bodied and the heat shields bolt to it. It is louder everywhere, not just below 5000 rpm.
Riding the stock Sidewinder is so nice and quiet. With a good helmet my ears don't ring at the end of the day
I would love to find a performance muffler that is quiet enough to ride all day and still make power.

Do you run stock muffler and ear plugs? I went forever without wearing earplugs until the last ride of the year. The wind noise is terrible with my open face but tried them out and essentially gained about 20mph on my average cruising speed.

Was so nice and pretty.much only heard the stock muffler.

Yeah that is a very good question!
According to the laws in some states, nothing but stock is legal. So a trail muffler is a stock muffler.
Or, anything that improves hp, could be known as a performance muffler!

Or, anything with a muffler is a trail muffler, and if it’s a straight thru made just for racing, well that is a performance muffler!

OR!! Yeah, I’ll stop here, because it can be very subjective in multiple ways!

Do you run stock muffler and ear plugs?
No. I dont need them.
With my CKX Mission helmet, the stock muffler, and a good windshield, the sled is whisper quiet.
That is why when I ride something else with a louder pipe now it seems irritating after a while.
I have been spoiled by quietness of the above combo.

I have worked in a garage for @33 years and my ears ring all the time now.
When exposed to louder noises for a period of time ( riding sleds with loud exhaust for 4-5 hours at a time) now it makes it worse. Bad enough that I will run a fan at night to drown out the ringing in my ears.
Trying to keep that to a minimum.

Back