• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

240 tune vs 270 tune

So....no change to clutch weight? Your stock muffler doesn't get extremely hot? How many miles on this set-up? Ty...

Just debating the 240hp & 270hp range. 240 is seemingly a simple tune. The 270hp may or may not, incur significantly more dollars past the cost of the tune. Muffler, bov, etc.
Then there's the bundle tune and flasher debacle....lol.
Both the 240 and 270 tunes are stock muffler tunes. Hurricane SM multimap is 225, 240, 270. PM multimap is 240, 270, 300. If you go with a PM you need the 300 tune. Make sure you get the right tune for your exhaust (SM or PM), they are different.

MY TURN HERE:
Since this about Hurricane & cost, i'll keep to those variables.
In the trails, i thought the 240 SS SM was best compared to the 270.
No need for Muffler or crazy clutching.
You can keep the stock belt since it's only $70
Dalton weights, BOV & a rear spring.........................all done

YES there are some more benefits of extra stuff, but when does the $$$$ outweigh the HP? YOUR call
I think the 270 needs more clutch work, better gas & yes IMO a Muffler. It does get hot at 270. I felt it on my boot.
Using a different belt not only costs more, but then needs to be dialed in. That costs more $$$ if you don't hit it on first try.
More power needs more studs..............'MO Money

P.S: There are many comparable clutch components out there, i only said Daltons cuz that's what i had

240 tune....$550?!?!
I hear some can ease the RPM 's with an xs825 belt. Some have said yes, some say you'll still need additional weight to correct.

270 tune (stock muffler) is $100 more, whatever?!?!
This seemingly adds Appx $2,000 in additional product. Stock muffler gets very hot. Probably will need a better flowing muffler. Bov becomes questionable and most likely need replacement. Dalton adjustable weights. May as well bundle it. Dash flash protocol. As well as xs825 belt, etc. Brings that up to $2500 +

Now I'm just passing the time during the off season...
If that is correct, the $1,800 for 30hp doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Considering the first 40hp cost a 1/3 of that.

I think I'm being quite realistic, no?!?!
I’m not sure others would agree but I run the 240/270/300 pm tune.

I run 270 most of the time
The odd time it inadvertently gets switch to the 240 I think my sled is broken it’s that different
270 is a lot of fun corner to corner if you can afford it you will not be sorry

The 300 borders on insane

This is for aggressive trail riding

As someone said it’s also highly addictive

If you just do a 240 your likely going to go to the next level cuz you know it’s there

Good luck deciding

IMO, the 240SS SM tune is a really nice mid and pulls good up top. However, the SM tune loses throttle response out of the hole or when going 10-15mph and a quick stab of the throttle over stock. The 270 PM brings that back to a little better then stock and then brings even more mid, top end and better on fuel. The muffler is really the big cost. Find a used muffler.

So....no change to clutch weight? Your stock muffler doesn't get extremely hot? How many miles on this set-up?
Stock weights, XS825 belt, Yamaha blu/brn/blu primary spring, stock seconday spring wrapped at 60, TS BOV.

The stock muffler gets hot if I make a really long pull, but it has not melted anything. For trail riding it is fine IMO.

Stock weights, XS825 belt, Yamaha blu/brn/blu primary spring, stock seconday spring wrapped at 60, TS BOV.

The stock muffler gets hot if I make a really long pull, but it has not melted anything. For trail riding it is fine IMO.

I've been looking at the max16 for a bit. It's almost too good to be true. It flys under the radar & the expense of a full tilt bogie.
Thank you for sharing.....

One last....when cruising around (98% of the time) I'm getting 15mpg religiously.
Did fuel consumption increase or decrease for you?

I've been looking at the max16 for a bit. It's almost too good to be true. It flys under the radar & the expense of a full tilt bogie.
Thank you for sharing.....

One last....when cruising around (98% of the time) I'm getting 15mpg religiously.
Did fuel consumption increase or decrease for you?
Slight decrease in most conditions. I see 14.5 mpg when cruising on a cold day. My dad has a stock machine and last season I ran out of gas at 128 miles. He made it 5 miles further than I did.

I get my worst mileage on warm days. I've seen as low a 11 when riding in 40 degree weather.

I have about 3,500 miles on this setup. I blew my first XS825 up at 3,000 miles.

The hurricane 270 tune claims faster spooling and all it requires is a BOV and clutch arms, it also claims better than stock mileage. The upgrade from there is 285 HP which requires the header and 93 octane. Still with the stock muffler. Even it it makes less than 270, its a pretty good deal. Wondering why this isn't more popular or is everyone running TD?

SM = Stock Muffler PM = Performance Muffler

225 – entry level flash, no modifications required ( SM only )
240 – Requires: Clutch Arms
270 – Requires: Clutch Arms – BOV
285 – Requires: Header – Clutch Arms – BOV – 3 or 4 Bar Map sensor – 93 octane ( SM only )
290 – Requires: Clutch Arms – BOV – Stock 2 bar Map Sensor – 93 octane ( PM only )
300 – Requires: Clutch Arms – BOV – 3 or 4 bar Map Sensor – 93 octane ( PM only )
Bundle – Requires: Cluster Flash – Clutch Arms – BOV – 3 or 4 bar Map Sensor

MY TURN HERE:
Since this about Hurricane & cost, i'll keep to those variables.
In the trails, i thought the 240 SS SM was best compared to the 270.
No need for Muffler or crazy clutching.
You can keep the stock belt since it's only $70
Dalton weights, BOV & a rear spring.........................all done

YES there are some more benefits of extra stuff, but when does the $$$$ outweigh the HP? YOUR call
I think the 270 needs more clutch work, better gas & yes IMO a Muffler. It does get hot at 270. I felt it on my boot.
Using a different belt not only costs more, but then needs to be dialed in. That costs more $$$ if you don't hit it on first try.
More power needs more studs..............'MO Money

P.S: There are many comparable clutch components out there, i only said Daltons cuz that's what i had
How did 240ss feel compared to your Powertrail tune?

Just get the pm bundle, ss upgrade, and supporting mods and call it a day.

You will end up there eventually so just buy once cry once.
I completely understand. I've limited my riding to one or maybe two trips per year.
So, frankly, I can't justify all additional expenses.
Looks like it's just a tune, belt & a bov would be the extent of it.
So I'm trying to make sure I maximize this on the first shot.

Back