• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4 stroke for 16 year old

All three of my daughters have driven an Vector for the last 8 years . One started when she was 12. I think with good setup it's the perfect sled. They all started on a 500 XTC and 500 skidoo and one drive on the Vector is all it took !

Same here. Daughter started riding on an SX500R around 9. When she got her sled permit at 12 she was more than ready to take over my '07 Phazer FX. She loved the electric start/reverse and attention it gave her with the custom paint/vinyl graphics. I even had the shocks rebuilt to here weight.

She put a few miles on both of our Apex, but thought they were trail tanks, which they are. She is in love with her viper now. The riding position is perfect for her and way more warm than the phazer which had minimal wind protection. Her favorite feature may be the heated pocket (goggle pouch) for her iphone. HA!

If he was my kid I would put him on a good Nytro for stand up within 5 HP of a Vector but much more of a young mans sled & riding position. He would luv you for a Nytro and hate you for a Vector ..lol.. JMO. Phaser not enough HP or sled... Nytro much better 121 up to 144...think of an MXZ or Renegade Yamaha 4s that is the Nytro.

I thought a Vector had the same riding position as an Apex/Attak? He does want to be rider forward and able to stand.

I thought a Vector had the same riding position as an Apex/Attak? He does want to be rider forward and able to stand.
Yes some where around 2008 I believe Vector and Apex shared the the same chassis Vector 125 Hp Apex 150 them Nytro came in with a rider forward stand up chassis at 130+ hp eventually topped at about 139hp. Really sweet little sled intended to take on MXZ and XCR, with 4s version. Yamaha retired the Nytro after the Viper came on board. Nytro was a sweet sled even came in an Xtx 144 version. You can get them cheap and really fun sled for a teenager. Plain rips to 85 mph then flattens out more of a twisty trail fun sled not a cruiser like Apex and Vector.

I'm not sure if you know about the changes that Yamaha made in the 2016+ Vectors using their exclusive YCCT throttle system but this might be something to consider since you can choose from three different performance settings including one that limits the top speed:

http://www.snowmobile.com/products/inside-yamahas-throttle-by-wire-ycct-1965.html

http://cmjc.ca/actions/page?docId=8082&ctx=&=Presentation of the 2016 Yamaha snowmobiles&request_locale=en

This might be something to seriously consider for a 4-stroke Yamaha powered sled for your 16 year old that you can actually limit the top speed and gives you the capability to increase the performance level as his experience level grows. I'm not sure why but this feature seemed to slip under most peoples radar but seems like a great idea.

Thanks. I had heard about YCCT, but didn't realize what sleds it was in and when it was introduced. The reality is, I can't go too new. I know my Attak is very comfortable to stand on, and feels rider forward. Is it not fully that way? He is very happy sitting on mine. :)

The Vector and your Attak share the same basic chassis platform so they should be identical in how they feel when sitting or standing.

I have an 05 vector nytro my son has been riding for 3-4 years now. Stretched to 144, 1.375 picked cobra track. Riser so you can stand easily unless your a 6+ footer. Great sled for a 16 yr old who likes to play off trail a bit. Might sell it this year as he's off to college. In NH too.

Hmmm. You're in Weare? 2005 is carb'd right? I definitely want EFI. I'm done with carbs and ethanol. :)

Yes Weare. For the vector EFI didn't start until 2010 i believe. The Vector Nytro only came as a carbed sled, so yes ours has carbs. I have a 2008 Vector i might sell this year too, which is loaded, but more of a wives sled than 16yr old.

I also have a 2009 Nytro xtx which i love. I have yet to ride another sled that is as much fun for me. The AC 1100 turbo was close, and the new doo g4 with the 850 is a bit better.

The newer nytro's might be a bit much for a 16yr old to handle, you have to muscle them quite a bit more. If he's a bigger kid and has lots of experience he'd be fine. I used to worry about my nytro xtx being too much machine for my son when he was 16, but i will say that he loved riding it, he always wanted to switch sleds, and never had a problem on it.

Hmmm. You're in Weare? 2005 is carb'd right? I definitely want EFI. I'm done with carbs and ethanol. :)

Since I own 2 carbed machines I decided a few years ago after cleaning them multiple times to fine a way to keep them clean. Since I have used these products both of my machines have never ran better! And no more cleaning
images
Fitch fuel catalyst works very well, just dropped 2 of them in both tanks and no more bad gas!
upload_2017-9-7_8-19-39.jpeg
I use one of these in the first tank of gas to make sure they keep clean
upload_2017-9-7_8-21-27.jpeg
for storage . One bottle in last tank of gas . let the machine run until you know the mixture is in the carbs .

Thanks. I may just pick up a 121 Apex for him then. He wants the longer track, but I think he's good with whatever dad gets him. :D He is a good rider, been riding a while, and generally safe. I'm just being his dad. Love him and wouldn't want to put anything under him that is too much...

Let us know what you find for him ! It's fun when they like to do what your passionate about ! Make sure to keep him safe get him a Tek Vest ! and a good helmet !

Back