• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

800xp vs ApexGT on the lake

fourload

TY 4 Stroke Master
Rode yesterday on our 31 mile lake with my friend Jeff who was riding his 08 800xp. This is the first time he would race me because he wanted to get some miles on it and tune the clutches.It has 700 miles on it some clutch pin weight added and 144 studs. My sled is a good running 2006 GT that has radared 119+ on ice. It has 144 studs,ulmer stage 2 clutch kit,airbox mod,10ek plugs etc.

He let me ride the sled for some time before we started racing and I will say it is nice and light and had good acceleration. On the lake at high speeds it is almost too light. Any bump or frozen over slush throws the sled around pretty good.

Now for the good stuff. I raced him probably 40 times yesterday in all types of traction senarios and came to the conclusion that in loose snow conditions he could get me everytime by a couple of sleds to about 90mph. In the hard beaten path I could get him by at least a sled or 2 till 90. Top end is no contest. I would walk him everytime we got to about 90+. In a long 1 plus mile lake run he would be wayyyy behind me. These things seem to hit a wall at about 95 or 100. In the conditions yesterday I could only get 124 on my speedo which is maybe 110 real mph. I don't think the xp could even get 95 yesterday from the way I was pulling away from him on the top end.Don't be afraid to run those xp's on the lakes boys, just keep it long!!!!!!

Put some longer spikes, 1.450" Magabites work great. Anything less than that you are not taking a full advantage of your clutch kit.

fourload said:
Rode yesterday on our 31 mile lake with my friend Jeff who was riding his 08 800xp. This is the first time he would race me because he wanted to get some miles on it and tune the clutches.It has 700 miles on it some clutch pin weight added and 144 studs. My sled is a good running 2006 GT that has radared 119+ on ice. It has 144 studs,ulmer stage 2 clutch kit,airbox mod,10ek plugs etc.
He let me ride the sled for some time before we started racing and I will say it is nice and light and had good acceleration. On the lake at high speeds it is almost too light. Any bump or frozen over slush throws the sled around pretty good.
Now for the good stuff. I raced him probably 40 times yesterday in all types of traction senarios and came to the conclusion that in loose snow conditions he could get me everytime by a couple of sleds to about 90mph. In the hard beaten path I could get him by at least a sled or 2 till 90. Top end is no contest. I would walk him everytime we got to about 90+. In a long 1 plus mile lake run he would be wayyyy behind me. These things seem to hit a wall at about 95 or 100. In the conditions yesterday I could only get 124 on my speedo which is maybe 110 real mph. I don't think the xp could even get 95 yesterday from the way I was pulling away from him on the top end.Don't be afraid to run those xp's on the lakes boys, just keep it long!!!!!!
Yup you are correct,a soft clutched xp will get spank on top in most conditions,some are running in low 120's on icy plowed roads,but i find it hard to believe they are any more than an honest 110 gps,i hve mine running preety good,and yesterday it would hit 108 gps on say 2000ft to 2500 ft,it gets to its top end quickly,but i may be putting my stock top gear back in,my 26 tooth does not seem consitant,rpm's seem to high and i have 23.5 grms of pin weight,and cudney kit,his helix is the trick,it allows full shift,on both clutches,and mine shift to w/in 1/16 of an inch from top of the primary,and to w/in 1/4 of an inch down into the secondary,but my best today was 121 speedo but could not get my gps to breal 111 it would go to 110 gps evenwhen speedo hit 117,speedo and the 119,120,and 121 all netted same 110 gps,its like it hits a wall at 110,with 26 top gear,and i could smel plastic,which i feel was hyfax,and track hangs 2" so i may need to tighten it up,add some more wheels,and get some good ice,all my apex'a and rx1' went 117 gps on ice,but this sled is fun to run hard thru the crap,but my grandson was with me today with his 05 vector,that has run 111 gps on long lake at about 5 miles wfo,and today on same conditions he ran 115 speedo and 98.8 gps not bad for the conditions,ice was rough and choopy.

playing with 800r xp

ran twice this weekend playing whith an 800r on the trail and lake both times he pulled me a little on top end but i seem to get him out of the hole

Blue, The lake was great on Sunday. I will probably be on it Sat. this weekend if I don't work. I went all over, from Lanzi's to Lakeview to Ponderosa Pines. There were a couple of wet spots towards Edinburg, but nothing major.I went out today and it was all hard, plenty of snow too. We were running wide open for 2 plus miles from the point to the bridge. Tried to make my friends xp blow up but no luck. Maybe next time.

Interesting stuff!!!

I don't own a GPS yet, but a friend that occasions my UP trip does. A couple years ago we were running WOT on Gogebic on the hardpack snow. He has a '04 Warrior w/ NOS. Without the NOS button pushed, we were both running side by side. I saw 109-111mph on my dreamola and he was seeing 113.....his GPS said we were doing 102mph. Now it makes me wonder ,the first year my Viper was new, I did not have the 1.25" predator on it....I had a strong backwind on that same lake and I saw 125mph on the dreamola. I wonder what I was really doing? Any guesses?

112 mph is bang on 125 mph on the speedo.

journeyman said:
Interesting stuff!!!

I don't own a GPS yet, but a friend that occasions my UP trip does. A couple years ago we were running WOT on Gogebic on the hardpack snow. He has a '04 Warrior w/ NOS. Without the NOS button pushed, we were both running side by side. I saw 109-111mph on my dreamola and he was seeing 113.....his GPS said we were doing 102mph. Now it makes me wonder ,the first year my Viper was new, I did not have the 1.25" predator on it....I had a strong backwind on that same lake and I saw 125mph on the dreamola. I wonder what I was really doing? Any guesses?

It's hard to believe that the APEX can either run with,or beat, the 800r and it has around 100 extra pounds to carry.That has to be disapointing for the ski-doo camp. :yam:

I guess that weight ski doo showed on the sleds hood in last years' ads really added some speed!!!LOL

i hear the xp800r, rip's until around 100 and then falls, it's real quick, but the apex's aren't slow, just think if the apex lost 75 or 100 lbs., that would be awesome

I don't have a Apex but a 05 RX1 with Ted Jennetty clutching and air box mod. We came across a 08 XP800R that was stock on the trail yesterday. He did get the jump but my sled drove by him at about 50 mph. Also did a roll on and same thing. I am sure XP's that is clutched would do better. My sled was pulling 111 mph on the trail yesterday. This was my first trip with one tooth ground of speedo gear. Riding next to me was a friends 03 F7 that read 112 mph. The Firecats speedo's are almost dead accurate. The F7 ate him up also. This F7 is a freak and halls the mail.

journeyman said:
Interesting stuff!!!

I realize that this is slightly off subject but I have something to add to the Viper / 4 stroke speedometer comparison.

My buddy has an '02 Viper and we did some testing on the lake with a GPS last weekend. His Viper topped out at 104 MPH on his speedometer (we discovered later that he had a very loose spark plug) while I was only showing 95 MPH (at about 3/4 throttle) on my '07 Apex speedometer right next to him side by side while the GPS read 85 MPH.

Interestingly although my speedometer was about 11% fast, my odometer was dead on according to the GPS. The Viper speedometer was 18% fast but his odometer was also off by about the same amount. This confirms for me that Yamaha purposely deigned the Apex speedometer to read fast while keeping the odometer accurate.

I agree, but if you're ahead...does the indicated speed really matter???LOL
A few that tried my sled will believe the speed ("wow, 108 in that short field"), but I tell them it's off bigtime. Those big numbers probably sold a lot of sleds.
Odo's are right on with everyone elses.

Back