• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

9854 Track Swap

RobX-1

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 50th Apex XT-X, 08 40th Apex LTX GT, 08 40th Nytro RTX, & 03 RX-1
Guys,
I had my stock POS track replaced under warranty late last year and was given a Predator 9854 1.25" track. I would of liked to have gotten the new Ripsaw track but this was the one my dealer ended up using as a replacement. I have my track off since I am planning on adding studs as well as adding more protection to the existing tunnel and heat exchanger protectors. As it was sitting there, I remember reading on here that someone else was able to swap tracks through Tracks USA. Well, I just contacted them today and I can upgrade to either the new Ripsaw or the 9818 (assuming I leave the stock drivers in cause doesn't the 9833 require different drivers since it has all windows open???) for roughly $150 US which includes shipping. I inquired about the 9854 and he stated it was a good track but it robs MPH; approx. 5-8MPH due to the way it is designed. This is more reason to upgrade. My question is this, would it be worth it to upgrade to either the Ripsaw or 9818 or will the 9854 be sufficient? I am an aggressive trail rider who normally rides the trails in the UP but also wants that top speed for lake racing. I have heard good things about the 9818 and 9833 as well as some preliminary results of testing the new Ripsaw but have not heard much about the 9854.

Tracks USA pricing is as follows:
9854 - $349
9818 - $359
9833 - $399
9921 - $369 (I think this is the Ripsaw)

When you compare the prices, $150 does seem a bit much since my 9854 has never been used. It may be a better idea if I try to sell my 9854 and then buy the 9921. It would probably be cheaper in the long run but if I do the swap, I won't have to worry about finding a buyer for my track. What do you guys think? Any input, positive or negative, on any of the tracks would be appreciated.

I would seriously look at the 9830 1" if you want good top end. The 9818 is .5 pounds lighter then the 9854 & will give slightly better top end due to it,s desig. The 9854 does hook very well on extreme hard pack tho!

From what I can gather, the 9818 (9833 fully clipped) is the best all around performer for trail or deeper snow. Generally you will lose some top end speed as you go up in track profile (1.25" plus). There is more weight and as someone else mentioned "more fan like action under the tunnel" which might slow you down. If your interested in keeping the top speed that you have, Try the 9830 (1" profile with as similar design to the 9818). I have not decided what i'm going with yet, 9818 or 9830. The 9830 is 34 lbs, shouldn't be too bad for hook-up and should keep my top speed up. Plus I won't have to worry about my studs hitting.

I found the best price a Tracks USA. They even purchased my used stock track for $175.00. New Ripsaw was $399.00. I am very pleased. Now, where's the white stuff??

SrXxTrEeM, I called Matt first because I feel he gives so much valuable information on this site. He could not touch the price of the tracks from Tracks USA, plus Tracks USA took my old track as a trade in. Matt does not take trades. It was just easier for me. I hope to business with Matt in the future.

Back