• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

99 Big Bear 350 2wd issues

ShootToThrill

VIP Member
Picked up a non running project. I cleaned the $40 knock off carb and it runs good at lower rpms but stumbled bad above 1/4 throttle. The neutral indicator light only comes on when in neutral then you push the shifter down and find the sweet spot to get it to light up. No big deal there yet. Picked up a reman mikuni for it from a reputable carb shop, that is set up with stock jets, settings, etc. for a bone stock machine. This one has the spark arrestor removed and I plugged the holes in the airbox lid. It starts great runs pretty good but has a miss / stumble / pop in the mid to upper rpms. The new stock plug got really black but was dry, it has a $10 ebay coil on it too and I'm not sure if the foam air filter is a stock one. I cleaned the in tank screens and added an inline filter during the carb swap. I'm not a fan of the cheap coil and I should check the needle position and float level next I suppose. How picky are these 350's with jetting? Where's the best place to find a service manual to download? Any ideas and help would be great! Thanks!

they don't mind a fat pilot jet but the main has to be the right one or it blubbers or does what you are seeing. try pulling the choke on when it starts acting up and if it quits, it is too ritch. if it cleans up and runs good, main is too lean. did you check the carb boot to the head? they are known to fail and still look good. had one come apart in my hands when i loosened one of the carb nuts.

might be a vac leak too if choke makes it run clean.

looks like we do not have that manual or i would get it to you.

I checked float level last night that was good. I'll play with the choke today, I'm currently using it to feed bears so I can't tear into it to deep. I found the throttle stop was only letting it hit 5/8 - 3/4 throttle too. I did find a manual but it must be for an older one with drums on the front. I would assume all of the engine and electrical havent changed much on these 350's

I sprayed the carb boot with carb cleaner and didnt get an obvious change in idle speed. I'll inspect it later on when I check the valve clearance and it's tore down more

just be careful as they messed with a few different carbs on them. i got caught and ended up getting pissed and replaced the carb with an ebay one to get it to run right.

oh and as a side note, do not use ring free on one of these unless you enjoy carb cleaning. takes all the alge coating the tank and plugs all the orfice in the carb to the point it was easyer to replace the carb.

Seemed better today with the throttle stop backed out and some more freeplay in the cable but still not perfect. when they get done working on the gravel road by me i'll give it a real run and see how it acts. I did seafoam it earlier but that tank of fuel has been drained.

Back