• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

998 engine rebuild

soo now i still have an oil leak from up high on engine, doesnt leeak if just idleing but if i bring revs up and do a few high revs on stand, i can look up from under sled with belly plates off... see front side of engines gets a sheet of oil coming dwn from higher up.... now it must be valve cover gasket im thinking.... can this be done while engine still in and is it difficult? pain in #*$&@? i have the gasket. i dont think the pan was leaking as first suspected... i think it was oil coming dwn then catching the edge of the gasket then flowing along it making it look wet. crossing my fingers here fck
You have an awesome engine/tune package on your sled built by a reputable performance shop that you obviously have spent a lot of your hard earned cash on.
Bite the bullet and drive it back to TD, drop it off, and get them to make it right! You won't regret it in the long run.
JM.02c

Attachments

• IMG_1698 (002).JPG
    IMG_1698 (002).JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 72
soo now i still have an oil leak from up high on engine, doesnt leeak if just idleing but if i bring revs up and do a few high revs on stand, i can look up from under sled with belly plates off... see front side of engines gets a sheet of oil coming dwn from higher up.... now it must be valve cover gasket im thinking.... can this be done while engine still in and is it difficult? pain in #*$&@? i have the gasket. i dont think the pan was leaking as first suspected... i think it was oil coming dwn then catching the edge of the gasket then flowing along it making it look wet. crossing my fingers here fck
My brother's 19 with 2k started this at end of last season. His was coming from corner of oil cooler. Did same thing, leaked from one corner and ran down front of motor and left residue in belly pan. Check this area, maybe the orings are problematic. Oil cooler oring is part #3020-320 on his zr 9000. Check here 1st before you get too carried away with other issues/headgasket potential because his started this.

IMO, if one is paying close attention and meticulous about doing the work, it's not that hard to put one of these 998s together with no issues, no leaks, no funny noises, etc. Seems like this one has several problems.
In addition to what NYT says, I've seen the hose leaking at the crimped-on ferrules. Crimps sometimes aren't compressed enough causing oil to seep between the steel ferrule and the hose. I made a re-crimping die that fits the stock ferrule that works in a press to re-crimp the ferrule. Leak stops.

Yes, to educate some of us that the fact that Detonation related to Tunes DOES happen and you need to be careful.
Hmmm, these pics look very familiar. Simlar to the ones I first posted when I started this string. I bet there are plenty of engines out there with similar deto damage where the owners think all is well because they are still sounding and running ok. It's just a matter of time before the damage gets bad enough to cause misfire or lower compression in one hole and the engine sounds "funny" when you crank it to start it (and/or you have to reduce primary clutch weight to run same RPM = loss of HP).
IMO, with today's gas getting worse and worse, I don't think the tunes with 17 lbs or more of boost are really pump gas safe.

Dealer put motor together .
Trust me i use to be in charge of calibration for about 50 torque wrenches,you would be amazed how many people including dealers dont know there torque wrenches are bad!!!I have had to return brand new "Snap on" torque wrenches that failed out of the box never used

I didn't say dealers torque wrench was calibrated or not. You asked the OP if his torque wrench was calibrated, which doesn't matter as the dealer did the work.

In the end the sled needs to go back, I’m sure Max paid a nice chunk of change for this mod. Have them make it right, plenty of time

i am taking back just before winter when cooler weather hits to have it blasted on dyno before i go for another 5000 mile winter , im anal soo im going to do the gasket myself... that way i know its done right. I hope everything opens up so we all can enjoy this winter without waiting on parts or having to get take out for food every trip we take.

I didn't say dealers torque wrench was calibrated or not. You asked the OP if his torque wrench was calibrated, which doesn't matter as the dealer did the work.
I didn't say dealers torque wrench was calibrated or not. You asked the OP if his torque wrench was calibrated, which doesn't matter as the dealer did

In the end the sled needs to go back, I’m sure Max paid a nice chunk of change for this mod. Have them make it right, plenty of time
agree

soo a final note, I HAVE THE LEAK FIXED 100%!!! just a simple human error as the gasket poped out of the valve cover at the front left corner and would only leak after reving. as mentioned in one of my private convos, Mike Offered to travel 5 hours to my shop and fix it but like most of you... i find it fun to figure things out that are simple and alow me som garage time with the toy.... plus you get to clean and find other stuff to fix in mean time. in my books this speaks volummes!!!
Cant express enought how great the team is at TD, BEN , Mike and MIke the mech.... they were really concerned about making it right and have returned my calls or answered my call even on a Sunday. I gave them gifts also for doing a great job on my sled. For anyone looking to get their toys rocking... dont hesitate to use them.
Now let it snow and have agreat season... and time to harness the extra power with this TAPP and STM.

Just a quick follow-up note for anyone interested ....
I got another head and engine back from Millennium Technologies (https://www.millennium-tech.net/). Sent upper block and head both with substantial deto damage.
Their repair and machine work is great (head has mirror finish and block has matt finish) as well as their Nicasil process. Both components look like new. Excellent job. Both head thickness and block deck height was within .001" compared to prior to repair. Bore was diamond honed fit to new pistons exactly as I requested.
I highly recommend them if anyone needs this kind of repair. Turn-around is only issue (approx. 10 weeks). They are busy.

Back