• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

About that high altitude boost...........

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
Actually I think a comparison of boost levels is in order to get a real picture.

Turbo kit X set at 8 pounds of boost, a 200 to 220hp kit depending more or less.
MPI Turbo kit set for 4.5 pounds of boost with EABC, a 180hp kit more or less

Turbo kit X is 8 pounds of boost but at higher altitude might be only 6.5 or 7 because of thin air

MPI turbo kit with ElectronicAltitudeBoostController rasies boost a 1/2 pound per 1000 feet altitude until it reaches 8 pounds boost max.

Recently I had a chance to ride a MPI trail kit same as ours but no EABC and the difference at 10k altitude was night and day. Ours was running 8 pounds and his 4.5 pounds!

My point is as soon as you can get the working or replacement EABC controller, as 210hp on a traditional turbo is 8 pounds boost and the 180hp MPI does that at altitude.

Always important to be able to adjust boost pressure as you gain altitude. I used to ride 700-8500ft. Lots of boost drop by the time you got to the top if you couldn't adjust.

You never took mine for a ride BILL.................................js

Doesn't your "turbo X" or Evo turbo compensate for elevation as well? It was my understanding that the Evo turbo has an ebc?

MCX pretty much set the standard for turbo kits years ago with there elevation compensation. Now there are lots of kits that do this such as MPI, Boost-it, Push (in a way they describe that does not sound like it would work), TSS and Evo (at least that is what I thought).

Doesn't your "turbo X" or Evo turbo compensate for elevation as well? It was my understanding that the Evo turbo has an ebc?

MCX pretty much set the standard for turbo kits years ago with there elevation compensation. Now there are lots of kits that do this such as MPI, Boost-it, Push (in a way they describe that does not sound like it would work), TSS and Evo (at least that is what I thought).

The MCX I had years ago on my Phazer had adjustments for fueling for altitude but didn't increase the boost. Are you saying MCX now increases the boost as you go up in altitude? If so what boost level does it top out at?

Yes MCX controls boost based on elevation. I do not believe it changes the fuel map as it keeps the airflow density constant. Since the turbo is connected to the baro sensor the ecu actually adjusts fuel as needed. The MCX turbo has been adjusting boost pressure for many years on the nytro kits and Apex for sure. Climbax would be able to confirm as he has been using them for as long as he has been riding for Yamaha. At least since the genV controller anyway which was 08 or 09?

On the 190 kit I believe at 10k it is supposed to be 9 psi? I don't pay much attention honestly when I get to the mountains. I know I am hitting 6 psi here at 3k feet. I have not had any snow this year to confirm that. Just going off memory.

I believe the MCX also controls fueling as well, does it not? This is why guys have been disconnecting the baro sensor from there air to air port because the stock fueling and the mcx box are fighting each other. In the higher altitudes.

Yes the genV does have a fuel map for boost. Just the baro sensor is connected and pressurized so the ECU adjusts the map. If I disconnect my baro sensor the machine will run 17:1. Connected it runs 11.5:1 at 7 psi. Make a big difference. I know under bnoost the altimeter no longer works. Never heard any or experience issues that you propose. The 270 kit may be different.

Yeah my altimeter doesn't work under boost either. My low end rpms have been laggy and boggy until i get under some good boost. I was told this by my MCX dealer to try disconnecting the baro and see if it clears up. Have not been able to test it out tho.

Stingray ... my Nytro with MCX runs at 17 lbs. at 11.8k and I've seen it go up to 19 - TCup, CW Pass, etc. I was told it would go up to keep the 17, but not sure how far.
Our new '15 Viper MTX with the same 270 kit showed 17 but it's only been riden once here in CO. Derek

Stingray ... my Nytro with MCX runs at 17 lbs. at 11.8k and I've seen it go up to 19 - TCup, CW Pass, etc. I was told it would go up to keep the 17, but not sure how far.
Our new '15 Viper MTX with the same 270 kit showed 17 but it's only been riden once here in CO. Derek

I may have talked to you this year at CW Pass in the bowl, I had the Blue Viper.....small world...

Just throwing this out there. With a 180/190 kit that compensates for altitude, how would the stock fuel pump and injectors do at high elevation and boosting at 8-9 psi? Or is the normal amount of fuel required, it just needs more air...??

run 10psi with my viper stock fuel pump no issues. 3 extra injectors though.

Back