• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AEM TRU-BOOST - setting the Spring Pressure (SPR)

Ted Jannetty said:
noszed said:
You will want to set your spring pressure or crack to about 1/3 of gate pressure, or you will get quite a bit of spike.My gate is set at 8 and when I set my spring setting at 8 I see boost spikes around 17. trev

That is because you wastegate is actually starting to open earlier than you think, it holds 8 psi but probably starts to open aroun 4-5 psi.

As I said too high and it will fluctuate and won't stabilize.

Ted.

The waste gate rod is set with a lincoln mv8500 to just move at 8#

Wouldn't getting one of these solve a lot of problems?.. this would be the waste gate an actuator set at 7bs right?

larger image TurboSmart Ultra-Gate38
$291.00
DESCRIPTION: Smaller, lighter and better in every key performance area than its predecessor, the new Ultra-Gate38 provides high-end features and build quality at an entry-level price.

APPLICATION: Suitable for all turbocharged vehicles with an external wastegate turbo system. Street and racing applications.

SUPPLIED WITH: 2 gaskets, 2 NPT fittings, valve seat,
mounting bolts and a 7psi spring

noszed said:
When set at around 2.5 to 2.9 ,It spools to 9.5 pounds in less than about 10 feet. With the same setting and duty at 29 I see 13 pounds in the same distance. If i turn it down to 1 to 1.5, I see low boost at partial throttle on the trails. Any higher than about 2 it runs in vaccum till I open it up.With this setup i am using very little fuel.This is with a rear mount 16t.

Is your solinoid mounted on the turbo or up in the front under the hood?

You also have to take in to consideration the exhaust pressue pushing on the valve as part of the equation.

AEM Tru-boost controler

Okay, did a little more testing, I'm having a little trouble with spikes. Looks fine on the guage but when I use the "peak boost" feature after a run I'm reading about 1 lbs to 3.5 lbs high.
Setting "A" comes out to about 10 lbs. Seems nice and steady but when I check the peak boost recall it is around 11.2 - 11.8
Setting "B" comes out to about 12.2 lbs. Again seems pretty steady but checking the peak boost recall it is around 15.4 lbs - 16 lbs.
Waste gate rod is about 6-7 lbs - dont remember exactly..
"spr" setting has been tried at 1.9 lbs - 4 lbs didn't seem to make any real difference.. Do I need to go down even farther? 1 - 1.5?

Like I said the gauge itself reads a pretty steady boost, I wouldn't even know about it until I started checking the "peak boost". I'm presently running enough octane to cover it but it's still concerning.. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks Tony

Re: AEM Tru-boost controler

tonykof said:
Okay, did a little more testing, I'm having a little trouble with spikes. Looks fine on the guage but when I use the "peak boost" feature after a run I'm reading about 1 lbs to 3.5 lbs high.
Setting "A" comes out to about 10 lbs. Seems nice and steady but when I check the peak boost recall it is around 11.2 - 11.8
Setting "B" comes out to about 12.2 lbs. Again seems pretty steady but checking the peak boost recall it is around 15.4 lbs - 16 lbs.
Waste gate rod is about 6-7 lbs - dont remember exactly..
"spr" setting has been tried at 1.9 lbs - 4 lbs didn't seem to make any real difference.. Do I need to go down even farther? 1 - 1.5?

Like I said the gauge itself reads a pretty steady boost, I wouldn't even know about it until I started checking the "peak boost". I'm presently running enough octane to cover it but it's still concerning.. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks Tony

That was the beauty of the EVC-5 they would learn out those spikes.

Most any boost contoller will spike some depending on Wategate actuator used.

Ted.

So i take it this is normal for this controller??
Yeah, I guess I'm just too cheap to get the EVC-5.:hide:

With that said, it must be a pretty short spike since it doesn't show on the AEM digital gauge or as far as i could see on my "manual" test gauge when I had that hooked up..
Too dang many gauges to watch!

Back