• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another donut / Y-pipe victim

I've got 8,200 miles on my 07 RTX and mine is in the shop for the 3rd time with bad Y pipes. All three times it was covered under Y.E.S. However I am still losing ride time!

My 06 Apex RTX with 8000 miles is in the second time for bad donuts. First time at 5000 miles it backfired which warned me something was up. Now 3000 miles later I just started to hear rattling under the tunnel and infront of the track. It better be covered by my YES warranty.
Hopefully I have my sled back for this weekend.

one thing i noticed when putting my sled back together, the clamps were wore thin on the edges. If you are replacing donuts with these clamps, they will not squeeze the donut as much. The clamp is made so it will only tighten so far.

i installed rx1 exhaust, it fits good, the tips wont fit on unless you weld the apex stlye flanges on to the pipes. I used rx1 tips. you need to space out the top bolt about 3/8 and bend the lower mounts in about 1/4 then they go right on. the top bolt needs to be longer for the spacer.

the rx1 side covers will not fit into the apex style tail light cover without alot of cut and fit and then the lower side will never match up. too bad, the rx style looks better but the apex light looks better.

Well I took the sled apart and replaced the donuts in two hours. I took a guess as to what the noise was, picked up the parts, and two hours later was running her across the field. much better. It's not a hard job to do, just a PIA when there is a foot of fresh snow on the ground! Thanks for all the help TY-er's!!! Love this place

Those of you who are getting them covered under warranty, how are you convincing your dealer there is a problem?

Beerman said:
Those of you who are getting them covered under warranty, how are you convincing your dealer there is a problem?

Once you start the sled for them...if your donuts are bad...they will here it (the exhaust leak that is).

Beerman said:

I took a picture and showed him the bad donut. He will turn the bad one (the only one I could find) into Yamaha. I wanted to take the sled apart, even though it's under YES. No charge. He would have done it, but since it may be a recurring issue, I wanted to see how bad it was to do. Not bad at all. As long as the y pipes hold up.

Here's what mine looked liked. Only one donut left. And it was bad.

Attachments

• P1200017.JPG
    P1200017.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 110
  • P1200016.JPG
    P1200016.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 93
  • P1200015.JPG
    P1200015.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 102
I have replaced these so often now that I am thinking of contracting Dunkin to make em!
The job is relatively easy but you know that pretty soon after doing it you will be back!
The basic problem needs to be addressed and I believe that the original Y pipes made in Titanium have flanges that are far too thin and delicate, Plus the clamps are not an engineering fit. Ie only touch on the high spots. I also believe that the donuts could be made from a far more durable and forgiving material such as copper because the problem basically emanates from the movement of the motor relative to the fixation of the exaust system.

I'm the latest victim. Last summer when I checked my gaskets I failed to loctite the clamp bolts and I think that’s why the furthest away from the clutch went bad. Upon inspection I discovered a cracked exhaust joint and this might be something to check whenever you change the gaskets.

IMG_0199-2.jpg

Iceman57 said:
I'm the latest victim. Last summer when I checked my gaskets I failed to loctite the clamp bolts and I think that’s why the furthest away from the clutch went bad. Upon inspection I discovered a cracked exhaust joint and this might be something to check whenever you change the gaskets.

IMG_0199-2.jpg

Iceman - I have had numerous donuts fail and also the Y pipes but never one of the header pipes. You would think that in my own case by tightening up on everything - IE new Donuts + new SS Y pipes + clamps machined for better fit that the only flexing that could then take place would be in the concertina header pipe which would explain the failure you have. It has been suggested that some of these headers were not to standard and I see that there is a new part number for them. I have a couple spare if you cant locate one. I have kept them from day one "just in case"
I still think a copper donut would work better and if I get time this week I will try and get some made up.
Damn annoying isnt it right in the middle of the season!!!

If you can get the copper donuts made up let me know and I will order a set of them from you and see how they hold up. I think if they used the spring fasteners like on the 2 stroke exhaust they might hold up better. Which SS headers did you use Bender or Excell?

Changed mine for the 5TH time and found the PTO side flex pipe cracked 2/3 of the way around. I will eventually replace all4 with RX1 flex pipes and lengthen the center of my pipe. 3700 miles on my 06 Attak!!

Iceman57 said:
If you can get the copper donuts made up let me know and I will order a set of them from you and see how they hold up. I think if they used the spring fasteners like on the 2 stroke exhaust they might hold up better. Which SS headers did you use Bender or Excell?

I was going to get a local machine shop to make some up by just giving them a pattern using a new donut. I'll let you know if I can get them done later this week.
I used the Bender pipes but had difficulty installing them as the ends that mate with the muffler are larger diameter and straight cut. This makes them difficult to insert into the muffler section plus I had to cut the pipes as they were touching in the tunnel and wouldnt allow correct alignement at the header flanges. See my post "How to save yourself some beer while installing Bender Y pipes" !! It shows the photos too.I also posted "Yamaha runs on Junkin Donuts" with pix to show the damaged donuts.
I think you are better off with the Excel pipes from Allen. They look much better made and have the bevelled ends to allow easier fit into the muffler. They are about $100 more but also claim an increase in power. I think the extra is well worth it and was sorry I didnt see these before ordering the Bender pipes.
On the Loctite question. I have been using Loctite Blue - seems to work OK.

Back