• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any former triple triple owners here

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
Own an XCR 800 and thinking about selling it and picking up a triple turbo, can't decide new or used. I only ride this and an edge 600.

Upon reading most of the stuff I have figure out the following
-Chaincase and driveshaft gear need attention every year
-replace tuner skis
-Winder clutches are better than cat.

With that being said I only ride trails, I don't do mountains or deep power but I love railing through the woods and smooth field on the xcr. It's heavy to the point where it feels like an F1 car, just point and steer through the corners not much leaning around. The edge is a lot more active but the 800 tires me out a bit more.

Anyways, I've ridden a few rider forward sleds and for the life of me I can't get them to turn like my old trailing arms. I've hung way off them and still, I just plow right through the turn. I went riding with a group of skidoo's and was able to keep up no problem.

How does the triple turbo handle compared to the old iron in the woods? I'm not really concerned about beat to #*$&@ trails because I typically wait till the groomer goes by in the week and let the triple sing. I don't ride late Saturday or Sunday because morons are out and just ride during the week. Do they tire you as much as the old iron? I like the exercise I get from the old sleds but I need something a bit more reliable and good handling in the woods.

Also is there a good breakdown between the different winder models, the max track I'm look at is a 137 and would like a heated seat and the rebound adjustable shocks.

Last edited:

A properly set up seat forward sled will eat the old trailing arm sleds for breakfast without even trying. Even on good trails. I went from a Polaris Fusion which is based on the original Rev from ski-doo and there is no way I would even come close to what my winder can do.

My summer project 2001 srx , rebuild motor & mods , update shocks , Boss tall seat & 3 inch taller handle bars
IMG_6110.JPG

As far as railing the corners my 02 SX Viper would be showing it’s snow flap to my 16 SR Viper easily but the 16 is soooo much more ergonomically comfortable and better handles the bumps I could never go back. I was never comfortable the whole first season on the 16 cause they do seem tippy compared to the trailing arm sleds. I really thought I had made a mistake buying it. But after getting the suspension dialed in and some ridding style changes I became just as confident on it as I was on the trailing arm design. You can run the old sleds hard and beat the newer sleds in the corners but you can’t do it all day long once the trails start getting beat up. You just don’t get beat up on the rider forward sleds.

Love my 2000 srx but cannot ride for long trips anymore..love my winder

I belive that the people that think that trailing arm sleds are faster than the rider forward, (the sidewinder in particular) , are making excuses for their own performance. You probably feel faster on a trailing arm sled because you have to work 5 times harder to go fast. If you are truly faster on a trailing arm suspension by measuring speeds or times, than you have some suspension setup to do on the sidewinder chassis. It's like comparing a honda civic to an Acura nsx.

At least that is how I feel, in the end of its you that needs to like what you are riding.

Living and riding in the UP we see all kinds of sleds on the trails. Plenty of trailing arm sleds still out there riding. Groups of people travel hours to ride the trails on their sleds. Doesn't really matter how old the sleds are.
One of my buddies has a collection of the xcr 800's. He has at least one of every year made. Also has a bunch of the rxl 650 trail sleds. Don't forget the handful of centurion 500 triples he has also. Most of the time he rides a rxl650.
The main part is he has fun snowmobiling still.

I have a nice 01 sxr700, it's still pretty damn fast compared to the new sleds. I watched my son (700) race buddies son ('18 850doo) this winter. Was close, the doo got him by a sled in maybe 1000 feet. The old redhead handles great on groomed trails, but sucks in the bumps

Living and riding in the UP we see all kinds of sleds on the trails. Plenty of trailing arm sleds still out there riding. Groups of people travel hours to ride the trails on their sleds. Doesn't really matter how old the sleds are.
One of my buddies has a collection of the xcr 800's. He has at least one of every year made. Also has a bunch of the rxl 650 trail sleds. Don't forget the handful of centurion 500 triples he has also. Most of the time he rides a rxl650.
I am not trying to take away from the old sleds at all, I'm just stating the facts. In the end the sport needs people to enjoy it no matter what sled they ride, or else it will die, sport quads is a good example of this

Saw LOTS of old iron this year in the UP. Tons of two up riders also. Big groups also. Like 10-20 sleds in one group. Very strange year this year in the UP! Not in a bad way. Very low snow fall totals also.

Saw LOTS of old iron this year in the UP. Tons of two up riders also. Big groups also. Like 10-20 sleds in one group. Very strange year this year in the UP! Not in a bad way. Very low snow fall totals also.
I saw that too. Tons of old sleds out. Was cool to see. Mostly younger guys and gals.

I belive that the people that think that trailing arm sleds are faster than the rider forward, (the sidewinder in particular) , are making excuses for their own performance. You probably feel faster on a trailing arm sled because you have to work 5 times harder to go fast. If you are truly faster on a trailing arm suspension by measuring speeds or times, than you have some suspension setup to do on the sidewinder chassis. It's like comparing a honda civic to an Acura nsx.

At least that is how I feel, in the end of its you that needs to like what you are riding.
The original poster was refering mostly to getting through corners.
I don't think there are any excuses. It only stands to reason(by the laws of physics) that the old trailing arm(and the older A-arm cats) will get through a corner faster. Especially the older ones that had less suspension travel. Everything is closer to the ground including the rider, which is the heaviest part of the package.
As much as I love my Winder, it simply will not get through curves or corners like my 98SX700 will. Not gonna happen.
But, as I said before, it does EVERYTHING else far better, and is worth the trade off in cornering ability.

So how does a winder corner compared to the matrix and axys sleds? It's roughly a 100lbs heavier so that has to benefit. Like I said my triple triple is just a point and shoot sled.

Own an XCR 800 and thinking about selling it and picking up a triple turbo, can't decide new or used. I only ride this and an edge 600.

Upon reading most of the stuff I have figure out the following
-Chaincase and driveshaft gear need attention every year
-replace tuner skis
-Winder clutches are better than cat.

With that being said I only ride trails, I don't do mountains or deep power but I love railing through the woods and smooth field on the xcr. It's heavy to the point where it feels like an F1 car, just point and steer through the corners not much leaning around. The edge is a lot more active but the 800 tires me out a bit more.

Anyways, I've ridden a few rider forward sleds and for the life of me I can't get them to turn like my old trailing arms. I've hung way off them and still, I just plow right through the turn. I went riding with a group of skidoo's and was able to keep up no problem.

How does the triple turbo handle compared to the old iron in the woods? I'm not really concerned about beat to #*$&@ trails because I typically wait till the groomer goes by in the week and let the triple sing. I don't ride late Saturday or Sunday because morons are out and just ride during the week. Do they tire you as much as the old iron? I like the exercise I get from the old sleds but I need something a bit more reliable and good handling in the woods.

Also is there a good breakdown between the different winder models, the max track I'm look at is a 137 and would like a heated seat and the rebound adjustable shocks.
Can you please elaborate on this statement? "Winder clutches are better than cat."

IMO, if you read TY comprehensively about clutches, there are plenty of opinions either way.
If you're referring to the TCat Team primaries and cracking issues, yes that's a problem. However some never crack; some crack early. I think you'll read the general experience is the Team primary just plain doesn't wear out on the TCat. Cracking has been the only real issue. I've seen many Cats with Team primaries that had 5-10,000 miles and the clutches were still like new. Spiders still tight, no slop or wear. In general, they will last much longer than the stock Winder primary in most cases. There are many many reports of Winder primaries with continuous roller and weight bushing problems. Some last only a few hundred miles, some last more. Both tuned and stock.
IMO, there are just as many votes to say Cat primaries are better as there are to say Winder primary is better, depending on what is important to you.

Back