• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any Power Commander tuning gurus here?

DigitalFusion

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
14 Viper LTX, 10 Turbo Phazer MTX, 08 Phazer, 88 SnoScoot
I completely ran out of time to try and tune my Phazer turbo project before a trip out west. I made every effort to try and have it dyno tuned, calling every place in the 4 state area to try and get it in. I am basically SOL and have to leave with just my best guess for mapping.

It has one of those limited production boondockers turbo kits on it. After figuring out that all the boondockers 'programmer' did was push the stock injectors (same as the nytro and viper injectors but only two at a lower stock fuel pressure of 43) well past 100% DC, I threw it out, upgraded to 550cc injectors and got a PCV-VTI unit.

I started my base map with pulling -38% across the board. I have not had time or the snow to play with the Auto Tune. All I have been able to do is throw the -38% map in and toss some numbers at it based on previous knowledge and what I have been able to find for some sample maps from other applications. It runs, and drives okay in some short rips around the yard, but I know its not quite right.

You have no idea how indebted and grateful I would be for any tips or insight anyone could provide.

minus38.PNG

ignition.PNG

ignitionPressure.PNG

fuelPressure.PNG

autTuneTargetAFR.PNG

Attachments

• Yamaha Phazer Turbo 550 Injectors.pvm
    4.5 KB · Views: 124

I didn't just "bolt these on and go"? I have a starting point map. 330 to 550 is +40% increase, so I started with -38 and have my auto-tune toggle switch on. It actually runs okay right now. I intend to try and spend some time out west doing so full throttle runs and flipping the switch off to apply the settings. I thought perhaps someone could see something with my base map that could use some refinements, especially in the target AFR or ignition settings.

As I said, I contacted every place in the 4 state area, including Ulmer and Straightline. Allen said he cant help sort of getting it on a dyno, which cannot be done until April. Straightline no longer offers tuning services to the general public, and their dyno is reserved for in-house R&D only. Bikeman said the same. A half a dozen other places said they no longer offer tuning services for sleds and/or also could not help me out before I left.

You need to change your pressure map to be based off of barometric pressure rather than starting at "0" and then jumping to 14 psi in your next column.

Also I think you'll struggle to use Autotune only, as the adjustment isn't always the best, can give "false" readings and do goofy things to the map.

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (6).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    270 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    308.6 KB · Views: 127
You need to change your pressure map to be based off of barometric pressure rather than starting at "0" and then jumping to 14 psi in your next column. Also I think you'll struggle to use Autotune only, as the adjustment isn't always the best, can give "false" readings and do goofy things to the map.

Thanks Allen! My table was based off barometric, I just figured that since I will never ride at a lower elevation than where I live (14.5'ish) I would skip those lower values? I suppose it makes sense to not start at zero since that's impossible. Your tables are much more detailed than what I have. Is it a good rule to start at 12.5 and go up in 1 psi increments?

From what I understand, the issues with auto tune seem to be centered around on-and-off throttle (blipping the throttle) readings? Is that correct? Any chance having the Auto Tune on a toggle will help? I was hoping that once we arrived I could spend some time doing some pulls with the auto tune on, flip the switch off, apply the settings, and rinse & repeat? I'm not sure what else I can do at this point?

Back