• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody else have this problem????

mk812

Every year the local yammi dealer has to do a carb cleaning on my sleds. It does not matter if I run them dry or leave them wet, they still get gummed up. The dealer talked to yamaha and they say it is the fuel used in northwest indiana that is the culprit. Evidently yamaha has very small ports and the fuel gums up quicker since the fuel has an additive that helps reduce pollution. My skidoo does not have this problem and I give them all the same treatment in the spring. (Fog the engine and seafoam any fuel left). Any comments would be appreciated. Supposedly yammis will be going to electronic fuel injection soon to eliminate this problem. 05' vector, and 03' vmax, they both rock!!

I believe I have two clogged pilot jets. How did your sled act?

Would it idle rough and foul plugs?

Four stroke pilot jets are much smaller than two stroke jets. I am not going to fog the engine next year and try something different.

In addition,

I took my sled in to the shop yesterday for the CDI replacement and clutch shim fix.

I also found out that my jackshaft was in the bad batch of shafts that need replacement.

I was told by another dealer that I would get a notification letter from Yamaha, If I had a bad jack shaft. I was never notified. The dealers have the block of VIN numbers of the affected sleds.

It did idle rough and they figured it out at the shop when they could not sycnc the carbs. And the plugs always run on the black side. I was told this is normal for the vector. If the sled was not one year old I would get one of the new EFI models to eliminate carb cleaning.

Every small engine and powersports dealer has warned me about this. I've heard stories of this from the new blend gas. But I've not had any issues (YET!). Knock on wood.

I do always try to buy Amoco ultimate, I've heard that the whole "clear" thing is somewhat legit. Less crud to be left when the gas evaporates.

Gas does go bad rather quickly. You can see varnsh like deposit with in 60 day depending on the additives. You might try stabil fuel additive it helps prevent varnishing. I have used it for years on my small engins were they don't get constant use.

I don't do anything to mine for summer storage except drain out all the gas except maybe 1 gallon. I also never start it in the summer. I had no problems whatsoever and my plugs aren't burning black at all they are burning a nice brown color but my carbs are always in constant sync with flo commanders installed so maybe thats the difference on the plugs

I use stabil also and have never had a problem with any small engine gumming up or the Yammi. Run the sled long enough after adding stabil to get it all through the system and you should be set for the summer of storage.Sorry I don't know enough about different types of gas blends to give input on that.

Back