• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody find any new Idler wheels yet for apex

I picked up 6 new '05 wheels for my GT today. My dealer said that Yamaha has been instructed to replace the '06 wheels with the '05 wheels for a temporary fix. When a solution comes up (probably next year?), Yamaha will issue a recall and replace the wheels. The '05 wheels are hard plastic and may be noisier on the track, but fit and will work for now.

Question then on the recall. I was in Minocqua, WI this weekend and started with 120 miles on the Apex. The rear wheels were complete shot in about 50 miles of aggressive riding. With 220 miles on the sled then HYFax were then completely worn out in the rear where the wheels should be protecting the Hyfax.

The dealer in MInocqua said that the wheels are warranted but backordered as mentioned. The dealer there installed new Hyfax for me then two days later after the sled got 425 miles total on it. With the delaminated wheels still in place and new Hyfax installed, I could smell the new Hyfax melting in under a mile!

So my question is: Is Yamaha going to be paying for my Hyfax replacement? The new Hyfax will be shot in under a 100 miles based on my last experience. My sled stays five hours from where I live. I don't have time to keep bringing it to the dealer for new hyfax and I should not ahve to buy aftermarket wheels to get by while the backorder get filled. Any of you guys have any feedback from Yamaha on this?

150 miles on stock wheels and they got trashed. 600miles on the 05 wheels and they are fine.

APEXER1 said:
My wheels are still like new. (No issues) But there is alot of drag on the track due to the missing track clips in the track from factory. Put my Doo wheels on for a quick ride and couldn't believe the difference how it rolled. Then put them back on my Doo. (It looks funny without wheels) :D

Just called Max Perf and the new wheels are on the way ;)! THANKS SPEED and STUD DOG

Tell us more about when you installed doo wheels. On the rear idlers or the rears and the fronts?

These sleds don't "roll".

What I think is the problem is the studs.

Everyone that is blowing these inner wheels..are you studded?

I am studded 144 up the middle and this is creating pressure on the center of the track.

My wheels have actually 'coned' , pointing the cone towards each other, telling me that the studs ( or lack of more wheels) are putting pressure on these two wheels.
When you hit a hard surface, the weight of the sled is on the studs, in the middle of the track and the bases of the studs are taking out these wheels!!

I blew 2 sets this weekend in 71 miles, both times on the ice.

My dealer is getting me red plastic wheels from the accessory catalog as a tempory fix!!

87gtnos.even without studs wheels are falling apart.just bad wheels on certain sleds.

i have been running my aftermarket wheels for 800 plus miles and no issue's and in some really crappy snow like last weekend.they are slightly oversized also.save some of your guys hyfax that have to run your track tighter because of ratcheting.

The Doo wheels have the same ID as the new Apex. I did put them on for a quick ride then took them off. I still have a 03 Rev 800 that my son rides sitting right next to my apex so it was no big deal to swap them quick. The Doo wheel has the wider Brg on the wheel so when i went to bolt them up the nut didn't go on far enough to lock properly so i knew that this test was going to be a quick test and all i really wanted to do was see how the bigger wheel worked out. And the bigger wheel is the (ticket)

The yamaha wheel has a special Brg that is the same ID as the Doo but is narrower then the Doo and what i wanted was a wheel that would bolt right on without any modification. My friend wants bigger wheels on his GT and he didn't want the fuss of moding them. He just wanted to bolt on and go.

So i asked a few guys on this site where to get bigger wheels and they said get them from Max Perf.they will bolt right on. WELL when i got the wheels they were the same Dia. as the Doo wheels and have the same Brg as the Doo wheels and are black (just black) If i knew that i would have bought the Doo wheels and got the red ones that would match my ER. ( that would have been sweet )

PLUS- I had to machine the holders to get the wheels to fit properly. (pissed) :o|

SO!- Do the Doo wheels fit (YES THEY DO) I will put one on tonight and see if it fits with the holders that i machined down and see if the alignment is correct and get back to you guys later tonight if i can.

APEXER1 said:
The Doo wheels have the same ID as the new Apex. I did put them on for a quick ride then took them off. I still have a 03 Rev 800 that my son rides sitting right next to my apex so it was no big deal to swap them quick. The Doo wheel has the wider Brg on the wheel so when i went to bolt them up the nut didn't go on far enough to lock properly so i knew that this test was going to be a quick test and all i really wanted to do was see how the bigger wheel worked out. And the bigger wheel is the (ticket)

The yamaha wheel has a special Brg that is the same ID as the Doo but is narrower then the Doo and what i wanted was a wheel that would bolt right on without any modification. My friend wants bigger wheels on his GT and he didn't want the fuss of moding them. He just wanted to bolt on and go.

So i asked a few guys on this site where to get bigger wheels and they said get them from Max Perf.they will bolt right on. WELL when i got the wheels they were the same Dia. as the Doo wheels and have the same Brg as the Doo wheels and are black (just black) If i knew that i would have bought the Doo wheels and got the red ones that would match my ER. ( that would have been sweet )

PLUS- I had to machine the holders to get the wheels to fit properly. (pissed) :o|

SO!- Do the Doo wheels fit (YES THEY DO) I will put one on tonight and see if it fits with the holders that i machined down and see if the alignment is correct and get back to you guys later tonight if i can.
What are you talking about with the BRG?

Forget Yamaha, they don't have a fix. The season is tooooo short to be dealing with this problem. All my idler wheels were toast on my 05 Venture at the end of season last year. I waited till fall hoping Yamaha would come up with a fix. They put the new '06 rubberized wheels on and after my first big ride (300mi), one of them is already a mess, the rubber is stripping right off it. Now they're saying to go back to the 05 wheels - well I know they won't work. Give me a break. If you're studded, forget the '05 plastic wheels. Go with Doo, Poo, Max-perf, pay the money and send the bill to Yamaha.

Were running doo wheels on ours 2006 mach z 1000 wheels the bearing is a little wider yes we just got a little longer bolt. Works fine and no chewing them off. Also they are silver and match the hapex nicely. Even use the caps to cover the bolts to finish it off nicer.

Back