• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody with chaincase problems???

nate007

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
1. '06 Apex -twin screw
2. '04 Redline Revolt 800
3. '09 Nytro XTX - twin screw
Has anybody had any problems with the chaincase on your Apex's? I could be jumping the gun here, but while in a hurry to get home this afternoon, I hammered it coming out of the last corner on the trail to my house, and I could have sworn I heard a noise that sounded like gears or the chain slipping. I did tow another sled this afternoon, and it didn't kick into reverse very well while backing up to him. The gears ground when engaging reverse and hitting the gas, but it's done that before without further issues.
I'm hoping that the noise I thought I heard was maybe the studs spining on something ( I was in the road ditch) or possibly the track just ratcheting, but it wasn't as violent as a track ratchet.
Anybody???
Nate

It's full. I only have 800 miles on it. I've never heard of anybody havhing trouble with them, but I could be the lucky one.
Nate

Just got back from a 9 day trip (3000 kms) . sled had 1600 kms, and was leaking chaincase oil. I freaked out !!! Ended up being the upper seal. Looked like it was leaking form the gasket , one dealer on the trip replaced the gasket, was still leaking after riding only 60 miles, stopped at another and I stuck my nose in further to insist they take it all apart and saw the inner side of th case with oil stains and it WAS the seal. Dealer said has seen that before, but rare.

I will probably ride today at some point (after the 500!!!), but even when I heard the noise, I din't notice any loss of power issues normally associated with something slipping. I continued to ride just as hard the rest of the way home, and didn't notice it again, so maybe the ice thing could have been it. I'll pull the covers off and check for leaks before I go.
Nate

I hope it's something simple like that. It didn't seem quite as harsh as a track ratcheting, but more like the noise of the reverse gears grinding.A buddy of mine just stripped the chaincase out of his POO, and mine sounded more like that, but it only did it once.

Very rare, but the only thing that the dealers I spoke to said was the seal. Just watch for leaks and you will be OK. Minimal leaks at that.

At 8200, the gasket started to leak. Change the gasket and also the seals (just in case). 1300 miles later everything is A-OK.

Last year, the dealer checked my 06 Attak over (including all fluid levels) before a trip into Canada (400 miles). The trip involved many wide open throttle stretches. After I returned from the trip, I took the sled out for one last ride, and the chain case failed. The dealer said there was no oil in the chain case.

Do a search on here.

I personally know of a few chaincases that leaked so it does happen.

However - as long as these chaincases stay full of fluid (and you change the fluid and adjust the chain as scheduled), they don't seem to have many problems and yours is full.

About the only problem other than leaks with these chaincases is some of them were shipped or put together with the reverse out of adjustment.

Make sure the upper linkage is 27mm between the inside of the lock nuts and then make sure in the forward position that there is a little play in the mechanism (if you want to actually adjust it I find its best to increase the length of the lower linkage until it is finger tight and then back it off by 1/4 turn - do a search and you'll find more info on the proper procedure).

915 miles on mine before this weekend's trip, checked everything before the trip, oil level was fine, no sign of leakage. 340 miles into our trip on a long straight run (which I've done before) kablammo. Seal leaked/blew, all the oil came out and that's the end of that. Gonna take it up to the dealer next weekend before my warranty expires and insist they put on the updated 07 cover and seal.

I just checked the adjuster bot, and I was only able to get about 3/4's of a turn on it before it was tight, so I'll have to check track tension. Our weather has been messing with us, and I still can't go out and ride, so all I can do is wrench on it! I hope that it was just track tension or something simple like that.
Nate

Back