• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone bent an A-arm? (warranty won't cover it)

Almost everytime I hit something hard enough to feel it bad in the wrists it bends a upper arm.Mostly dumb moves on my part such as breaking through ice and folding ski up so far it looks like it touched bumper.As long as those arms are I am surprised they hold as well as they do.

07fx4stroke said:
I don't want to get off the subject of this thread but how is everyone bending these a-arms? I just bought a spare front end off and was wondering if I should keep it or sell it? any input is helpfull

Not off topic at all - I don't really know but I suspect that it happened when I hit a trench or two across the trail that should really have culverts but....... The impact was not at all severe but we had a long trip this weekend and stayed over two nights so a lot of gear packed on the sled probably caused a good bit of forward momentum when it struct an abrupt dip in the trail. Seems to be a weak spot on the Phazer/VL. I'll ask the dealer about this to see if it has been an issue but I'm not hopeful.

BTW, how much will a slightly bent arm (1/4") affect handling?

BombaPolaYama said:
07fx4stroke said:
I don't want to get off the subject of this thread but how is everyone bending these a-arms? I just bought a spare front end off and was wondering if I should keep it or sell it? any input is helpfull

Not off topic at all - I don't really know but I suspect that it happened when I hit a trench or two across the trail that should really have culverts but....... The impact was not at all severe but we had a long trip this weekend and stayed over two nights so a lot of gear packed on the sled probably caused a good bit of forward momentum when it struct an abrupt dip in the trail. Seems to be a weak spot on the Phazer/VL. I'll ask the dealer about this to see if it has been an issue but I'm not hopeful.

BTW, how much will a slightly bent arm (1/4") affect handling?

as long as you still have some forward "rake" in the spindle you should be OK. I know I have more caster "angle" on one side due to a repaired lower arm but I can't feel any difference from right turn to left turn while riding.

I got a sweet deal on this front arms. Just wondering if I should keep them or sell them. I know I will have this seld for at least 10 more years! I love my ride my phazer gives me!!!

I have gone threw 3 a arms this year all the lower left I have changing them down to I science I cab have the old one off and the new one on in less then 15 minutes with out taking any price of plastic off the sled.
All I do is I take the rubber tie rod boot off and slide a wrence in along side the tie rod and use a ratchet on the bolt and it is loose and then do the same thing for when I have to tighten. The first time doing it that way can be tricky but I bent a wrench so it fits in there perfect.

Leno said:
I have gone threw 3 a arms this year all the lower left I have changing them down to I science I cab have the old one off and the new one on in less then 15 minutes with out taking any price of plastic off the sled.
All I do is I take the rubber tie rod boot off and slide a wrence in along side the tie rod and use a ratchet on the bolt and it is loose and then do the same thing for when I have to tighten. The first time doing it that way can be tricky but I bent a wrench so it fits in there perfect.
"Practice makes perfect" as they say! 3 Arms eh, you must ride it like you stole it! You are the 1st one I seen to report bending the lower A-arm.

yeah I ride it very very hard lol I alway say ride her hard and live with no regrets. I feel like I have to push my sled to the complete max all the time lol but it gets very expensive lol

Here is a picture of my bent upper left A-arm. Any thoughts on straightening and reinforcing?

Attachments

• Bent A-arm.jpg
    Bent A-arm.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 78
BombaPolaYama said:
Here is a picture of my bent upper left A-arm. Ant thoughts on straightening and reinforcing?

Both of mine were a bit more bent than that. I used Cannondale's technique. With the arms mounted on the sled take a 2x4 and wedge it in the lower and push (front to back) straightened right up darn near like new.

Simple and quick, I got the toe out back too, shocks are back in the center of the space - all good.

mre said:
BombaPolaYama said:
Here is a picture of my bent upper left A-arm. Ant thoughts on straightening and reinforcing?

Both of mine were a bit more bent than that. I used Cannondale's technique. With the arms mounted on the sled take a 2x4 and wedge it in the lower and push (front to back) straightened right up darn near like new.

Simple and quick, I got the toe out back too, shocks are back in the center of the space - all good.

Same here!, and it worked perfect.

I bent both of mine last year... well just say that a snow drift landing Zone can be deceiving Darn Stumps
Now my bottom clicker on my shock wont turn and i dont want to pay the 500 dollars to replace the darn thing anyone know if a shock rebuild will fix this? the shock cycles fine?

Back