• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone in the Ottawa region who want's to help a Yamaholic?

Phatboyc

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2022 Sidewinder
Well I got a surprise this weekend. Was going to change the hyfax before it gets to cold to work in the shed. When looking closer at the skid I notice the W arm is cracked on one side. This is on a already reinforced W arm. This wouldn't be to bad by itself but somehow the sprocket chew all the new track's rubber teeth on one side.

Instead of welding the W arm and risking of trashing another new track, I'll be getting another skid. I'm looking for a Xtra-10 skid or similar. Xtra-10 is tempting since it has 10.2" of travel which should keep the great handling and wont change the sleds geometry to much. I don't go on big bumps so this should be plenty. Found the mounting measurement to boot.

Now for my question. I don't feel confident enough to tackle this alone. Is there anyone in the Ottawa/Gatineau/Hawksbury area who has a couple of skid swap under his belt? I would pay for your time of course and assist in the install. This way I know it will be done right and at the same time learn from a pro.

Thanks in advance!

First of all, I just have to say that the Xtra 10 is absolute junk and has been obsolete for many years.

I would highly reccomend an arctic cat skid from their two up (pantera/panther) line up of sleds, or a skidoo skid from their touring sleds. I am not a big fan of the mono shock, but with tweaking, you can get it right, and for two up riding, you would at least have to move your spring c clip to the 3rd setting for added stiffness.

Also, an another note, and definately an easier note, you could scrap the whole skid idea if you wanted in place of just curing the w arm problem with a super heavy duty H arm from mountain performance.

Here is the link, scroll down

http://www.mountainperformance.com/yama ... ension.htm

Phatboyc, For starters can you confirm what type/model/year of sled we're talking about...SRX700 '00 ???

Yamahammer485, I have to agree with you on the x-10 suspension...STAY away, I'd go MONO there's tons of guys on here that will make you a deal on 1...

Yes it is for my 2000 SRX 700. Sorry for the confusion. I figured some of you guys had this sled before and have experience doing a skid swap. I didn't want to limits my posting to 2 stroke only owners which is where I usually post.

I though about the MONO shock but it's a bit to high with 11.5" of travel. It's just that I don't want to change the sleds handling dynamics by raising the front.

Phatboyc said:
Yes it is for my 2000 SRX 700. Sorry for the confusion. I figured some of you guys had this sled before and have experience doing a skid swap. I didn't want to limits my posting to 2 stroke only owners which is where I usually post.

I though about the MONO shock but it's a bit to high with 11.5" of travel. It's just that I don't want to change the sleds handling dynamics by raising the front.

Ahhh, this is why you wanted the short travel extra 10.

Anwyays, yes, you are right, you will want a short travel skid to maintain the fact that the srx is a lake racer with lake racer suspension.

If you choose to keep the proaction, You can make your proaction much better with some adjustable control rods which make it transfer much better and I found that it went through bumps better as well. The ones I have are maxximum performance, but theyre are since out of business, so id reccomend the benders. Get that H arm too.

Back