• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone thought about getting away from the heavy Apex?

ApexerER

Expert
I have had my 2006 Apex since 2007. It has been a fantastic sled and bullet proof. I am getting a little older now but still ride very aggressively. I have spent some time on my buddies 800R this year and I feel it is a million times easier to ride. After 75-100 miles of aggressive trail riding on the Apex I am whooped. My arms feel like they want to fall off and I want to get off the sled. On the Skidoo I feel like I can hammer all day and still want to keep riding. I have thought about the power steering and would love to try one with it but I think it shuts off to early to help me anyway. I have ridden the Nytro and I don't like it. I love the fit and finish on the Yamaha and the reliability but what good is a sled that I am not enjoying anymore after 75 miles. I can jump on that Skiddoo and ride a lot faster and not beat myself up as much. The only problem is (like I tell my buddy) there won't be anyone there to tow us home if we are both riding Skidoo's. Anyone else gone back to a lighter weight two stroke and not regretted it?

EPS all the way try it you will fall in love right away ride all day and still be ready for more.

thor452 said:
EPS all the way try it you will fall in love right away ride all day and still be ready for more.

X2 its night and day the difference. I went from an 08 to a 14 and it feels so much lighter.
I know its not but sure seems it. I ride 200-300 miles a day and feel ready for more at the end of each day. I had the sore arms and shoulders with my old ride. No More them days are over.

I think your sign on has been hacked,

ApexerER said:
I have had my 2006 Apex since 2007. It has been a fantastic sled and bullet proof. I am getting a little older now but still ride very aggressively. I have spent some time on my buddies 800R this year and I feel it is a million times easier to ride. After 75-100 miles of aggressive trail riding on the Apex I am whooped. My arms feel like they want to fall off and I want to get off the sled. On the Skidoo I feel like I can hammer all day and still want to keep riding. I have thought about the power steering and would love to try one with it but I think it shuts off to early to help me anyway. I have ridden the Nytro and I don't like it. I love the fit and finish on the Yamaha and the reliability but what good is a sled that I am not enjoying anymore after 75 miles. I can jump on that Skiddoo and ride a lot faster and not beat myself up as much. The only problem is (like I tell my buddy) there won't be anyone there to tow us home if we are both riding Skidoo's. Anyone else gone back to a lighter weight two stroke and not regretted it?

sled

If you want one that rails make sure to get the 128'' Apex SE with EPS its a blast to ride and no arm dropping after a day of riding. I was going to go with the 144 XTX but as you said we are getting older. I just came off a 07 Apex GT that I had stretch out to 136'' and got myself a 2014 Apex SE 128'' and it is all the more fun to ride and easy to ride with that EPS it changes everything. :Rockon:

ApexerER said:
Yup everytime I go back to a 2 smoke I always end back on a 4 stroke and this past time I ended back on the wrong 4 smoke again,not next year,apex xtx for me,i have had 6 apex/attacks sense 03 rx1 one poo poo fst 4 smoke,one cat turbo 4 smoke and one doo xpx 800 and I am coming home again,enough said.

ApexerER said:
POWER STEERING THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm always looking to getting a lighter sled. The power steering is sweet on my Apex and it's a great trail sled, however I'm hesitant to venture off trail for fear of getting stuck. The power steering does squat then.

Re: sled

helmic said:
If you want one that rails make sure to get the 128'' Apex SE with EPS its a blast to ride and no arm dropping after a day of riding. I was going to go with the 144 XTX but as you said we are getting older. I just came off a 07 Apex GT that I had stretch out to 136'' and got myself a 2014 Apex SE 128'' and it is all the more fun to ride and easy to ride with that EPS it changes everything. :Rockon:

Hmmm So what is wrong with the XTX? It has a tipped rail and corners like a short track because in essence it is? I'm 58 and with power steering and Snowtrackers I've never been happier!

Heard it said on here that the XTX is a better all around sled then the SE, including faster, many prefer it! I know I have no complaints with it.

Grimm said:
I'm always looking to getting a lighter sled. The power steering is sweet on my Apex and it's a great trail sled, however I'm hesitant to venture off trail for fear of getting stuck. The power steering does squat then.

Put a Cobra or a Rip Saw II[if they ever make a 144"] on your XTX and you won't have to worry so much about getting stuck...the original Ripsaw is a good trail track but falls short off trail.

All I do is trail ride. If I venture off trail it's unintentional... (come to mention, it happened once yesterday). I am 53 years old and rode 160 miles yesterday. It would have easily been more but I had to get on the road. Today my middle aged body feels great!

I had an 07 Attak and am now on an SE. EPS make a dramatic difference in ease of operation of the sled. In the morning yesterday the temps were about -15 f and my EPS was not functioning. It provided a great comparison of riding an Apex with/without EPS for me when it came on after temps climbed a bit. As I stated, it's dramatic.

I was thinking of jumping ship in favor of (not a two stroke) but a 1200 Doo. That was until I added Snowtrackers to the SE.

I'm staying with an Apex. The weight is a non issue for me.

helmic said:

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN!!

Just came off an '07 GT and onto a '12 XTX. I am feeling the Yamaha love again and am not looking back!! I got to switch up with my buddy's MZX-X with R-motion and I am in love with my XTX!!

Two words, RIDE ONE!

I have been always been trying to think of new ways to save weight on the apex custom tunnel, titanium steering system, carbon this, etc in the end I just dont care anymore.

I fricken love this sled...

I really like my Attak.
I don't see a sled on the market[right now] that would draw me away from my Apex.
Lately, in my area I have seen quite an interest in purchasing Apexs. A friend of mine just picked up 2013 SE in the crate.
Apexs are not ditch bangers but for a rider that primarily rides high mileage and groomed trails, they are unmatched. Also, once you get accustomed to the "real" Yamaha's fit and finish, not to mention that Apex engine, nothing compares!
Savor these sleds quality while you can because they may be the last of a breed.

JM.02c

Sasquatch said:
helmic said:

Hmmm So what is wrong with the XTX? It has a tipped rail and corners like a short track because in essence it is? I'm 58 and with power steering and Snowtrackers I've never been happier!

Heard it said on here that the XTX is a better all around sled then the SE, including faster, many prefer it! I know I have no complaints with it.

Sorry I forgot to mention if you are 55 year old man and weight 150lb the XTX will be to stiff even at the lows settings and hard to corner with the length and all.My riding buddy has one and I went for a ride with it and that was to much sled for me. My SE if perfect for those personnel reasons.. ;)!

Back