• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone thought about getting away from the heavy Apex?

It is very hard to go back to a 2 smoke after owning a 4 stroke.

If you want a lighter 4 stroke you have two options. Viper or 1200.

The newer Apex's with EPS are light years better on groomed trails but will still tire you out in the rough stuff. My dad's 2012 has been a lot more reliable than his 07 Attak.

number1kyster said:

The newer Apex's with EPS are light years better on groomed trails but will still tire you out in the rough stuff. My dad's 2012 has been a lot more reliable than his 07 Attak.
I totally agree with the 1200 Doo. Ridden a couple 1200 GSX SE's and they are awesome ride, don't dart, more reliable and lighter weight. You can take it out of the box and ride it verses all the mods you have to to to the Apex's. but still doesn't have the pull of the Yamaha,(love that motor) much better fuel mileage though.

TBay Sledhead said:
number1kyster said:

I totally agree with the 1200 Doo. Ridden a couple 1200 GSX SE's and they are awesome ride, don't dart, more reliable and lighter weight. You can take it out of the box and ride it verses all the mods you have to to to the Apex's. but still doesn't have the pull of the Yamaha,(love that motor) much better fuel mileage though.

I haven't ridden a 1200 yet but I have seat time on a 600 Renegade Etec. My next sled will be a 1200 Renegade X. Sold my Apex a month ago and saving pennies for one now! I know I will miss the power but I will not miss the time and money it took to dial in my Apex or the terrible exhaust design.

Now i do remember the need for a few things with most of my 06 and 07 apex's of differant flavors,but are you guys that now have like 2012 thru 2014 really need to do any more than change carbides to be able to enjoy these newer sleds?

My dad's 2012 has a 13mm sway bar. The rest is stock other than suspension adjustments and it handles and rides nice. His is the standard model.

My 07 RTX needed a 13mm sway bar, pilots, and a revalve to handle and ride the way it should have from the factory.

mnmsnowbeast said:
Now i do remember the need for a few things with most of my 06 and 07 apex's of differant flavors,but are you guys that now have like 2012 thru 2014 really need to do any more than change carbides to be able to enjoy these newer sleds?

I'm the only one in our group of Apex's that has a newer one (12 XTX). I've ridden behind just to see how the old ones handle and it's scary at times. My ski's stay planted and the old girls are up on one in the turns. I can even see them dart around and mine is tracking perfect. I rode my buds 06 GT for about 1 mile and stopped and took mine back. I can't drive the old girls any more. Huge difference in ride and handling...

Test drove an Apex with power steering a few weeks ago and it was great. Used to own a Vector so i am very familiar with the hard steering that chasis presents. For the die hard Apex guys, the power steering would have to be seen as a great improvement.

But, what ruined the whole thing for me was I had just came off a Viper and realized how light that sled steered with no power steering and still a heavy engine in the front. That chasis seems to carry the weight way better and you could feel it in the corners. It was a nice turning machine. Flat, not the wrestling match as with the Apex.

MS

mnmsnowbeast said:

I have Deuce bars on order. I am going to hold off studding, clutching. I am going to put on my Powermadd riser for the extra 2.5". It's as close to perfect as I can imagine. I may drop in an HID kit, but that would be the same for any new sled I would have purchased.

I have an 06 rtx apex. Put the woodys slim jim doolys on...WOW, who needs power steering??? Night and day difference with stock skis. Rode all the 2014's last weekend and the only sled I liked was the apex. I'm keeping mine til she's nfg!! Woodys doolys aren't near the carbides as the dooly slim Jims. Rode this sled six years, now with slim Jims I love her more than ever... Pushing doos in the bush now!!

torque monster said:
I have an 06 rtx apex. Put the woodys slim jim doolys on...WOW, who needs power steering??? Night and day difference with stock skis. Rode all the 2014's last weekend and the only sled I liked was the apex. I'm keeping mine til she's nfg!! Woodys doolys aren't near the carbides as the dooly slim Jims. Rode this sled six years, now with slim Jims I love her more than ever... Pushing doos in the bush now!!
If you have an 06 apex rtx why is the pic in your avatar a 07 rtx?

Re: sled

helmic said:
Sorry I forgot to mention if you are 55 year old man and weight 150lb the XTX will be to stiff even at the lows settings and hard to corner with the length and all.!

Again my XTX corners way better them my 136 Warrior. My XTX has less track on the snow! So I just don't get the length thing is all.

The XTX does favor the heavier 58 year old rider and it does float better off trail.

I actually just went back to an Apex. Owned a 2006 a while back, and now I'm trying the power steering shorty after owning boosted nytros. Looked at the 1200, and viper, but don't care for the lack of power. Cheaper for me to make the ergo's better for standing on the apex, then it is for me to add 30-40hp to the other options. Plus I'm doing this till the new apex replacement comes out. Will probably buy one of them at the end of the first season out to save a couple bucks . ...nothing like the sound and freight train pull of the apex four banger

I love the Apex, the weight doesnt bother me at all, I want them to come out with a 100hp Apex.

Back