• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone try riding WITHOUT the sway bar???

Metallicat

TY 4 Stroke God
I removed the sway bar on my old ZR600 LE (basically a sno-pro version)a few years ago and found that the front end was much more "playful" and had an amazing feel in the side-to-side bumps. The front end just ate up the uneven terrain with much less pitching. The lean in the corners wasn't too bad either, sorta reminded me of the playful feeling of the original Phazer. I sorta liked it, but then I added a softer "ZL" front end to my Cat and couldn't get away without the sway bar since the spring rate just wasn't stout enough with the ZL suspension.

Just wondering if anyone has tried something similar on their 4 stroke Yamaha.

I just took one off of a turbo apex in the shop. Now the sled feels VERY "tippy" and "loose". I haven't rode it, but I can't imagine that it will work that way!! The shocks felt very low on air (25 psi??) but they had 80 psi in them!!! Had another identical sled beside it w/75psi and the sway bar in it,felt very stable,of course just standing and "rocking" them side to side. Don't know if that helps cv :yam:

I would think where the yammi's are much heavier in the front, the ill effects of not having a sway bar would be much more magnified, as opposed to a little old 2-smoke, but suspension geometry and setup could,and does play a big factor also. i knew some people, that ran the old doo s-chassis without them, thats the first thing they did is tear out the sway bar when getting the sled, it all depends on riding style, and personal preferences i guess

HI GUYS! haven't been on in awhile since its been boating season ya know ..But yes I have tried the heavier sway bar for my Rage 12 mm and could stand the way it made me get tossed from side to side in bumps! I've also tried the NO sway bar thing and that was to unstable and tippy...I found the stocker was the best choice in my 05 I think its a 10 mm 06 is an 11 mm.

I rode with no sway last year and the independant front really showed itself, it rode so much better in the rough straight, turning sucked though. I wish I could have it both ways but opted for the stability in a hard corner this year and threw the 13mm on.

If your boon docking or rarely ride a groomed trail you will like it. Just prepare to LEAN a lot when you need to turn.

We had a guy in the group break his sway bar clamp while on the trail, and he was forced to ride the rest of the trip without. He said that is was way too loose for the trail.

I messed around w/o the sway on a lake in about 18" of heavy wet stuff, fun but VERY unstable.... ultimately I ended up rolling the sled when one ski dove under a heavy chunk of snow while cruise @ 20 mph... Not recomended for the mean snow conditions!

that would be just scarry on these heavier sleds..

I was terrified of my old rx-warrior when i got. it..

It was soo tippy i rolled it the first day on a hill side.. added a 13mm bar and couldnt believe the difference..

Amazing..

I have been riding the sled pictured below without a anti-swaybar for 4 seasons now. I will never go back. As a mtn sledder that rides trail about 5% of the time; the better handeling while boondocking made it a no brainer for me. As for how it handles the trails, ask yammiman if it looked like I had troubles riding it though the tight corners. He got to ride it a little bit too until it spit up the secondary belt for my MPI super charger.

Jim

Attachments

• RX-1 mtn Update 11-20-05.jpg
    RX-1 mtn Update 11-20-05.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 162
I too am interested in your thoughts

don't mean to jack the thread but tell us more, do you have your shock pressures up high and have you ridden the newer chasis , Apex Mnt. without the swaybar and floats ?

I had a viper mountain that didnt have the sway bar...wow that felt tipsy, but was alot of fun in the powder.

i dont run one.i have fox floats set at 75 psi i think.not tippy at all.i think thats only way you can do it on a trail sled.i tried on my attak without floats and that was scary.

It really depends on what you plan on doing and how active of a rider you are. I recall the first time I pulled a sway bar and that was on an '84 Trail Indy. I was amazed at how well the front end soaked up frozen wind waves since it was truely indepenant. It leaned more in the corners but seemed to carve pretty well.

Many years later I yanked the sway bar out of my Zx 440 race sled just because the front end rode so stiff. It helped a little bit for soaking up uneven terrian but I felt I gave up a bit too much when cornering at higher speeds.

I wouldn't consider yanking it on my Vector because it is a "soft" sway bar and you can both see and feel the skis working indepentently of one another. Yet it still corners acceptably well and I'm running stiffer springs on the front.

If you ride in the mountains you will find it way easier to sidehill when running without a swaybar. You can really plant the sled hard into the hill. Personally I would just remove it if you are curious and rate the experience for yourself. It doesn't cost anything except time and a couple beers. :drink: ;)!

I am working on a cockpit adjustable sway bar mount like used on formula cars. My sled is out having the motor built but bought a 13 mm bar and have the proto type ready to try when it gets back form Hauck. It should give you the option of approx adjusting from a 7-9 mm up to the 13, I'll post an update when complete and tested.

Back