• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone with a solution to the headlight pod plastic breaking

tmamayek1

Veteran
Guys,

So last week when I was riding, I hit a very violent bump, needless to say I was going faster than I should had I noticed the dip in the trail sooner, but oh well. It basically felt like I broke both of my wrists. Anyways, after that, it looked like my windshield was being blown back a little bit when I was going faster. So I pulled over, and took a couple panels off.

Turns out I forgot to put loc tite on one of the bolts that hold the headlight pod in. The other one was still attached, but I noticed that the plastic broke and now I have basically 1 little part where the bolts supposed to go through, and the main unit. The other side, you can tell the bolt is slowly wearing down the plastic.

So, I was wondering if anyone's come up with a way to reinforce that area as this is the 2nd headlight pod that I've gone through now because of the same reason. Very expensive to replace whole unit for such a small broken, but critical piece of plastic.

I'll post some pictures later when I take her apart.

i have both sides of my headlight pod busted where the bolts are.

i drilled 3/16" holes on either side and with zip ties i now hold it in place. works just as good you just need to replace them every time you work on it. 5cents each...

sweet, for some reason I wasn't even thinking zip ties, but that makes much better sense than what I was thinking originally. Thanks guys. :)

Now, lets hope and pray for one more blizzard this riding season in the UP.

I took the JB Weld putty and filled the entire cavity full. then drilled it out and put a short lag screw in it. very tough now

Say what? Zip ties and they hold? Where and what do I drill... I was about to plunk down another $135.00 for another new headlight pod. This really holds under severe bumby trail conditions? JB weld in cold conditons holds up too? I'm suprised. Gotta try it!

lawmanbsi said:
I took the JB Weld putty and filled the entire cavity full. then drilled it out and put a short lag screw in it. very tough now

This works very well. I did the same thing. No problems in the cold either.

I bent a piece of S.S. strap like a "u", only with 90 degree bends. Slid it over the area that the speed nut used to be. Small rivits or bolts can hold it in place. Put new speed nut in proper place. And now I can remove and install with 10 mm socket...just like original

Find some one who does plastic welding in your area and get him to reinforce it as well.

Back