• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex droning noise

I will restate what I said above, I have an apex, when it was a shorty, it had the drone. I installed rx1 exhaust system complete, as a shorty, it still has the drone. I then installed 10tooth extrovert drivers, venture full tunnel, 1in ice attack track and a lengthened m10 suspension and it still drones. Not sure how much more you can change in the back than I have. I have changed nothing on the motor or even the clutching up front, still have the drone at low speeds. Or maybe the noise is in the rear and I just found the magic combination of parts that duplicates it.

It's an engine harmonic that travels through the exhaust system and is amplified by the tunnel. Try leaning over your windshield while traveling around 30mph and you'll find out where it starts... ;)!

and if anyone manages to run over themselves during the test phase then I had nothing to do with it and will deny everything.
:drink:

canadianhunter said:
Interesting : My Rage has always had the same thing and it is 136" I'm not sure about the wife's Rage.
Had it with my Rage, then the Apex then the Phazer. I can't say the drone was the same in all cases but it showed up at the same speeds and was similarly annoying.

I don't recall being annoyed by it on my Nytro. :dunno:

I had it on my Vector and have noticed it on my Nytro as well. Funny thing is, I never noticed it when they were new on either sled, just as time went on.

Try rolling free down a very steep hill at the speed where the drone is present. Is it still there when you let off throttle? I believe it's a driveline harmonic, we ride different sleds with drifferent enginges, different skids, different tracks but we all run the same driveline. If it still drones will coasting at idle it's not an engine harmonic but a driveline harmonic, just a thought. My sleds do not drone..... I don't know why but I will report if they start doing so.

Actually towed mine behind another sled at the speed it makes the noise with the engine both off and idling-no drone noise. It is the exhaust-put your gloved hand over the exhaust when it makes the noise and it quiets down

Thanks for doing the testing for us, now we can be sure it's a engine/exhaust harmonic and no driveline harmonic.

So know one on here has come up with a mechanical fix on the stock sleds that have this drone. I have always noticed it but this years first ride it was bad and have been looking on here for some tips. changes exhaust donuts in of season is the only thing I've done to the exhaust.

Anyone tried playing with the exhaust mounts?

anyone anything.

maybe it global warming

cheers

A fairly easy way to test if it's the common "Track Howl" is to pull all the idlers & go for a spin. My 06 rage had the howl at 35-55mph & my 05 venture had it bad! It completely disappeared w/ the idlers out. There's a few fixes on here for track howl if you search it out, if that ends up being the issue. Good luck.

I was out today with my 6yr old son on the back. The trails were about 50% groomed , 25% packed and 25% just pushed through. Needless to say we weren't going very fast. The drone was insane from 25 to s8mph and rpms under 6500 or so. I was thinking the exhaust donuts were going. But I only have 1300 miles on it.

Back