• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Engine Gone...rebuilt and rebuilding again ughhhh!

stoutner

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Website
www.ecsexpress.com
Bad news for me. I've had various problems with my sled so finally got around to compression testing it. Results are not good.

Cyl #1 170 lbs Cyl #2 160 lbs Cyl #3 15 Lbs Cyl #4 170 lbs

Also, when I pulled that plug, the ground strap was smashed into the electrode. The engine believe it or not seems to run really good and quiet even though it is obviously running on 3 cylinders.

Off hand I'm guessing broken ring, broken valve or something worse. I'm running a fully stock motor on 2006 Apex.

Any guesses at what might be gone? Broken Valve maybe???

Any suggestions on the easiest way to pull the motor would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Wayne Stoutner

Wayne, I'll bet you another Qt of oil that your NOS detonated a chunk of the piston ring land or you broke a valve spring and dropped a valve.

I might be able to help you out on $ parts or used parts. Keep in touch.

Hey, now is the time to Boost that Apex...
;)!

Wayne - sorry to hear that. To get the motor out, you'll have to pull just about everything. Gas tank, steering will have to be disconnected but not removed, upper frame, oil tank, drain your coolant and then some. Take your time and work your way down. Most likely if the plug was damaged, you will have head damage also. Valve trouble you would most likely have heard. You could pull the head to see what the damage is, but in the end you'll have to pull the entire motor.

So, The motor comes out through the top. I have half of that stuff out right not. I'm wondering If I should just pull the head and see if it is a valve problem. If it is and the cylinder is not all scored up, I could just fix it, and trade it in :) How do I go about just pulling the head?

stoutner said:
So, The motor comes out through the top. I have half of that stuff out right not. I'm wondering If I should just pull the head and see if it is a valve problem. If it is and the cylinder is not all scored up, I could just fix it, and trade it in :) How do I go about just pulling the head?

Wayne, just pull it. If you knocked the plug electrode, what ever did that also wrecked for head and piston.
Remember, Murphy was an optimist...

Once you have the upper frame off the engine will come right out. Should take about 3 hours, maybe a little more for the FI parts on your apex. Not hard just take your time. good luck

wayne i had a similar problem with my 03 with nitrous.started using alot of oil and had smoke out the pipe.ran fine,did compression test lost #3.pulled it apart and it looked like the piston rind land cracked and lifted.no plug or valve damage.did a complete rebuild with some help from lakercr for about 900 with cylinder repair from millenium.

wantboost said:
smokeyou are you by chance running a rear mount turbo?

wantboost,
Just ask Smoke you what that little "Fast / Too Fast" switch is hanging out of his glove box... that should answer your question.
I am still giggling about that remark from Mark when at Big Moose...
:Rockon:

SMOKE you said:
THAT SWITCH WAS TOP SECRET, MUST HAVE SLIPPED OUT ON THE LAST RACE

it isn't that top secret, Hell I seen it at the glenmore!!!

Any how, You get your motor out and apart yet wayne? Just seeing how the sleds coming?

aj

Back