• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex gear testing result

KnappAttack said:
Guy's, I have taken all the studs out of the tracks I had studded with the good 144 pattern, so I can't give you a good picture of it. The reason I have taken them out is because the double backers and pattern vibrated too bad using the Yamaha drivers, (they are machined more in the wheel than the drive lugs, and the lugs protrude above the wheel for increased bite on the track lug). You would not want to use it without SKI-DOO extroverts. Not to mention it robs you of 5-6 MPH over the iceripper I'm using now, which I believe is the ideal trail track. I'm not going to stud anymore unless its a 200+ HP turbo machine.

I didn't, and wont angle the carbide trail studs because you need to stop, but I did lead them right against the lugs for less flex.

The angled backers came to be because of what I was doing on the drag tracks. Woody's got wind of this and started to manufacture them with angles built in.

Didn't this star out a gearing disscusion anyway?
Thanks Mike, i need a new track bercuase of all the studs that have pulled out and it's the Ice ripper for me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for the input

Wow Guys!

I think that we got a little off track on this thread but I found everyones posts interesting and most were useful.

I was particularily interested in the post from Randy that stated:

"The key is make sure you v type pattern is facing the right way.

V - type pattern that face the wrong way will create
Vabirations, Spinning, J- hooking, improper balance,
loose traction, bad handling ect... "

My "V" pattern is oriented so that the "point" of the "V" is leading. In other words if you were to suspend my sled in the air and look at the track from the underside, the "point" would be towards the rear of the sled and the open end would be towards the front.

Is this backwards? If so, is it worse because it does not "trap" snow and ice as it would if the open end of the "V" was leading?

How does a balanced but backwards "V" pattern cause more vibration than the same balanced "V" pattern reversed?

Would I benefit from reversing my track now? How much would my braking suffer?

Thanks in advance for any advice from you guys.

let's be back to the gearing post guys. we all knew that 24t is too tall for a non turbocharged engine but between 22t and 23t what is faster on hardpack snow (not glare ice) it seems that with the 22t we need to spin the engine at 11000 rpm to have a good top speed so it's seems to much i don't know how many hp theses engines produced at 11000-11100rpm but in my point of view it's to high. on the other hand with the 23t we need to keep it at 10600-10700rpm to optain that same top speed(120mph in the dreameter) but it take much time to reach.

I don't quite get that either. Its not a tire as far as the V pattern goes. Common sense would tell me it wouldn't really matter which way the V goes. As for vibration I can't dispute it as it could change the vibration due to studs running over the wheels. No matter which way the V pattern goes it will promote the back end of the sled kicking out in my eyes.
I don't think it matters and wouldn't worry about it, if you already have the V pattern. They just don't hook up as well, thats all.

I will say that when I switch to SKI-DOO extroverts and a fully clipped track, the vibration goes away, which tells me its the yamaha drive sprockets that introduce the vibration in my case. I run the extros in the turbo sleds because of the severe ratcheting that occurs from the extra power.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply, and I realize that we have gotten off track of the original gearing subject.

However I am still curious about the vibration comment as the "open" end of the "V" would travel over the wheels regardless of which way the "V" is oriented.

Because I am still curious about the "V" pattern and the track orientation, I will start a new thread to see if anybody else wants to add their 2 cents.

Thanks again guys for all of the great advice I have received so far since joining TY!

Back