• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex GT skid plate install.. PITA Help !!!

RippinV

Expert
Well, I followed the instructions, drilled out the correct rivets. Installed three of the four gromets without a problem. The last one would not hold. Thne tried to install the place, finally got the two front holes to match up, could not get the back four to match, drilled two of them out a bit to accomodate the correct size then the third fasterner in the belly pan stripped! Now I have two screws holding in the bellypan and the two in the nose. Does anyone have any insight on how to remedy this? I was thinking some self tapping bolds into the alluminum belly pan?

Thanks for the help. For a OEM part it really didnt match up to well.

skid plate

i had the same problem with the one i got and i took it back.
some on here say to use rubber well nuts found at home depot.

RippinV said:
Well, I followed the instructions, drilled out the correct rivets. Installed three of the four gromets without a problem. The last one would not hold. Thne tried to install the place, finally got the two front holes to match up, could not get the back four to match, drilled two of them out a bit to accomodate the correct size then the third fasterner in the belly pan stripped! Now I have two screws holding in the bellypan and the two in the nose. Does anyone have any insight on how to remedy this? I was thinking some self tapping bolds into the alluminum belly pan?

Thanks for the help. For a OEM part it really didnt match up to well.

The oem rivet nuts are too short. Buy new ones for Mcmaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=5qfvyu).

I agree, what a joke the way they want it set up. I simply drilled CAREFULLY into each side of the aluminum pan. Installed screws from the inside with nut, through the aluminum, then another nut/washer, through the skid plate and then added a washer and bullet nut. Two in the rear and the two in front. 800 miles, no problem, looks great. :Rockon:

harbour freight has new riv-nuts with the riv- driver, its like twenty bucks for the rivs and driver. works sweet using the same holes. I think it peens the edges over better than stock.

Yes do the mcmaster rivnutst they are cheap and hold well. You make a home made rivnut tool by looking here http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/rivnut-tool.html
you can make a new hole near the old one or add more. The pan is open all around for lot's of access. I hit a rock and it tore and bent the rivnut and runined the hole so I moved it over with a new rivnut.
Cost's about 12 bucks for a package of ten aluminum ones and they hold. You enlarge the holes on the skid plate to make it easier to line it up. Use fender washers if you have to on the bolts.
I used SS hex heads. Got long ones and shortend them accordingly.

, part number 94020A387, from McMaster-Carr use drill bit size 25/64 ths.
the homemade rivnut tool works great.

yes it is a PIA.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am going to order the ones that you reccommended online and will use the rubber ones until they get here.

Back