• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

APEX GT SWAY BAR

My stock Apex sway bar was 12 mm. That is what Pioneer told me it would be when I purchased their 13 mm one (and which actually measured 13.4mm when I got it). When I pulled the original bar out it was 12 mm like they said it would be.

bobb said:
The stock one was 12-mm and I went with the Pioneer 13-mm. It made it corner a bit flatter. During the time I was waiting for the 13-mm bar to arrive I lowered my front shock mounts 1". That made so much of an improvement in cornering (reduced ski-lift, less darting, etc.) that there was probably less for the bar to improve.

I did not see any significant increase in rough trail riding with the 13-mm bar, but my moguls are fairly even hits to both skis. I plan to leave the bar in. It is definitely not "way too much" for the Apex.

Man, it sounds like you really got yours dialed. Lowering the front sounds like the best way to really get rid of darting and add more center trackpressure..is your traction better now? Have you thought about softer front springs in lieu of the drop? Might be a good ride over the trail and with more sway bar it should be stabile through the turns too. Please keep us informed on your set up.

The darting, and inside ski-lift problems were greatly reduced after the 1" drop, and because I did not loose any travel the ride was virtually unchanged. Traction (both acceleration and braking) improved less than I had hoped. Today we are dropping the front of the skid about 3/4" (as I still have plenty of ski pressure). I will let you know how that turns out.

I don't like using lower rate springs that much, as they always roll too much from me in the turns. No doubt the 13mm sway bar would reduce that, but I want its improvement on top of the higher rate springs - not as a trade off.

I am primarily on groomed, fast, and twisty trails. So, having it run like it is on rails is important to me. My previous sleds were all low slung (very non-Rev). When my trails do get mougaled up, the bumps are such that they usually hit both skis the same, so handling is no worse than stock with the extra stiff sway bar. Someone out on a lake with random drifts and ruts may not like it as much.

Also, just a note I do believe the amount of weight transfer has alot to do with it's tippieness. Maybe the control needs more adjustment?

bobb said:
The darting, and inside ski-lift problems were greatly reduced after the 1" drop, and because I did not loose any travel the ride was virtually unchanged. Traction (both acceleration and braking) improved less than I had hoped. Today we are dropping the front of the skid about 3/4" (as I still have plenty of ski pressure). I will let you know how that turns out.

I don't like using lower rate springs that much, as they always roll too much from me in the turns. No doubt the 13mm sway bar would reduce that, but I want its improvement on top of the higher rate springs - not as a trade off.

I am primarily on groomed, fast, and twisty trails. So, having it run like it is on rails is important to me. My previous sleds were all low slung (very non-Rev). When my trails do get mougaled up, the bumps are such that they usually hit both skis the same, so handling is no worse than stock with the extra stiff sway bar. Someone out on a lake with random drifts and ruts may not like it as much.

I am really interested in knowing how the skid drop will effect everything. Its really too bad the mono has no adjustment for center track pressure. :o|

Stock bar is 11mm.. just like i said before.. ive got mine out...

Pioneer offers a 12 and 13mm bar..

i have currelntly installed a 13mm bar in my sled (it was supposed to be a 12mm bar) but i measured it and it was 13mm..!

Hold your horses people my report will be comming next wendsday..

Brian

You are right; mine was 11 mm after all. I just went back to actually measure the stock bar myself and it was 0.437". Before I only bothered to measure the Pioneer 13 mm (mine was 13.4mm) and just eyeballed its relationship to the one I pulled out. I took Pioneer’s word for it that the stock one was 12mm on the 2006 Apex. Maybe Pioneer wanted to make sure I would take the 13mm bar without worrying it was too much or a change jumping from 11 to 13 (never mind to 13.4mm). That is what I get for not doubting everything! Sorry for adding to the confusion.

But at any rate, the change was not overkill. I do like the handling with the 13.4mm bar better than the stock (11mm) one.

I did get to run the sled after dropping the front skid 7/8" lower in the chassis (by drilling a lower set of holes for the front arm in the chassis). It did what I wanted - both reduced the ski pressure (a bit more from my previous lowering of the front ski shock mounts 1") and increased traction.

I have not had a chance to see if it helps my braking traction on steep down hills on freshly groomed or un-groomed (New Hampshire) trails. That was one other sore spot for me with the stock heavy front end feel. I assume that will be improved at least a bit.

Back