• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex idler wheel fix !!!!!!

FASTSLED

Pro
What has been the best fix for the 06 apex rear idler wheels? I have the 06 black ones but the bearings went bad after 2800 miles.

I had thought that Yamaha fixed this issue in '07 but my '07 Apex GT with 1700 miles has an inner rear wheel with delaminated rubber.

I am going to ask my dealer to warranty it and ask if the replacement is improved in any way.

Idler wheel problems started when yamaha switched suppliers back in 2005 when the mono suspension came out.
Back in the days of the PROACTION suspension the wheels were made by company called PPD and even had plastic caps that protected the bearings from dirt and water from getting in.

Yamaha has this accessorie wheel(SMA-8FP38-bk, $22.95) that is made by PPD with a REPLACEABLE 6005 BEARING (perfect fit)THAT IS IS LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE OF THE STOCK APEX WHEEL and twice the quality

These accessorie wheels come stock on the NEW venture GT for 2009

FX4,

Thanks for the tip. I will probably switch mine out to these wheels as the original ones fail.

Welcome to TY. Please add your location to your profile.

I replaced my wheels last year with the accesory wheel mentiones. After one year of riding the wheels are in great shape, but the bearings on the 2 inner wheels are completely shot. I just ordered new bearings - cost about $5 each. I don't understand why the inner ones are junk and the 4 outer wheels/bearings are still fine.

I also switched to the accessory wheel last year. Put 5500 miles on them and they are still in good shape. I replaced all 6 of the bearings in them last week. 3 of them in bad shape. I also repacked the 4 rear axle wheel bearings and 2 upper shaft wheel bearings.

Yamaha has been using the 6005 bearing since 2005 when the mono suspension came out. 6005 bearings are not as common as the 6205 which are used on every other machine(doo, cat, polaris). I have also checked through the Royal book and haven't been able to find them,

I'm sure a bearing supplier would have them

One trick I use to extend bearing life is use a needle point greaser to inject a little grease and push any water out that might in there.

I find it's best to grease the bearings in the spring so moisture is not left to sit in the bearing for the summer.

wheels

Ya, I used the accesory wheels and after 2500 miles lost bearings on 3 of them all almost at the same time out on the trail, rode 60 miles with no idler wheels on one side. Try slydogs wheels this year.

One thing I have noticed this year on the 2009 Venture GT where they are using the SMA-8FP38-BK wheel there using a rubber cap on the outside to help protect the bearing from dirt and water from getting in.

Might be worth buying a few to help extend bearing life.

Ski-doo has been using rubber caps on the outside of the wheel and plastic protector on the inside of the wheel for a number of years to help extend bearing life.

(Sometimes the rubber caps fall off, but a little crazy glue should help)

FX4 said:
One thing I have noticed this year on the 2009 Venture GT where they are using the SMA-8FP38-BK wheel there using a rubber cap on the outside to help protect the bearing from dirt and water from getting in.

Might be worth buying a few to help extend bearing life.

Ski-doo has been using rubber caps on the outside of the wheel and plastic protector on the inside of the wheel for a number of years to help extend bearing life.

(Sometimes the rubber caps fall off, but a little crazy glue should help)
I can believe yamaha hasn't been putting these rubber caps on for years,They really do help a little. They look better to.

Here is a link to what I am changing all six of my bogey wheels to. I am going with the black ones p/n SMA-8FP38-01-BK.

At $22.95 they are about half the cost of the originals and they have replaceable bearings! I can not tell from the picture however if they have the plastic bearing caps or not. In any case they are an improvement over my stock bogey wheels.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... etail.aspx

Blue Dave said:
Here is a link to what I am changing all six of my bogey wheels to. I am going with the black ones p/n SMA-8FP38-01-BK.

At $22.95 they are about half the cost of the originals and they have replaceable bearings! I can not tell from the picture however if they have the plastic bearing caps or not. In any case they are an improvement over my stock bogey wheels.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... etail.aspx

Those are the wheels that I put on my Attak. As I mentioned above Wheels held up well but bearings are bad on two inside wheels. I am puzzled why the inside ones would go bad and the outside ones are fine.

I haven't picked mine up yet so I haven't seen them in person. Are there plastic caps over the bearings?

Back