• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex oil change

billymx815

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SXV Venom, RTX Nytro, SR Viper RTX SE
Guys just did the first oil change/filter change in my fathers new 2010 Apex (leftover). What a pain in the neck that is. I know you only need to change it seasonally or maybe even longer but holy crap!
You guys have to have some pointers (short-cuts) that can help us make it easier. It took me a bit longer than 3hrs which is 2hrs worse than our Nytros.
There's got to be a better way or some tricks out there. Any suggestions, pics, diagrams...PLEASE
:o|

bottlerocket said:
Go to apex general and its the first sticky at the top.

YUP. I've looked through that a bit but don't remember seeing any short-cut tips. I'll look though it again - maybe it is what it is :dunno:

Thats about as short as it gets. It wont hurt so much next time and youll take another hour off that time. Good time to hang out with your dad....

Well that's good to know that it just is what it is. We're pretty anal about changing fluids seasonally no matter how many miles we put on because we always figure a few quarts of oil is cheaper than motor or gear repairs. I guess we just will bite the bullet and just deal.

You might want to get an Oil Filter Relocation KIt from Ulmer Racing. It's about 175 bucks for the basic kit which is just the kit itself minus oil and filter. They do have the full kits with oil and filer for about 225 bucks. Just a thought though.

Most likely, you will only need to change the filter once or twice in the time you own the sled. Yami specifically indicates you should not change at every oil change.

I was thinking about buying the Ulmer Racing filter relocation kit but I was concerned about the possibility of a failure causing engine damage that certainly would not be covered under warranty.

I guess that since I partially disasemble my sled every year to do maintenance anyway the oil filter does not add that much time to my routine. I look at it as more time away from my wife drinking beer in my garage!

It takes less time if you don't take out battery tray...just loosen it so you can get your hand in there to take off filter...it's tight but it can be done.

Just get one of those things to suck the oil out of it.

This is how I do it

HEY HONEY COME HERE FOR A MINUTE AND SUCK ON THIS TUBE.

Paraclete said:
Just get one of those things to suck the oil out of it.

This is how I do it

HEY HONEY COME HERE FOR A MINUTE AND SUCK ON THIS TUBE.

If that worked at my house I would get my oil changed everyday! LOL!

Yamaha doesnt say "do not" as it recommands oil filter change at a certain milage it not that big a deal to change it once a year. I cant emagine not changing the filter with the oil.

bottlerocket said:
Yamaha doesnt say "do not" as it recommands oil filter change at a certain milage it not that big a deal to change it once a year. I cant emagine not changing the filter with the oil.

Amen! Seriously the Wix filter(a good filter) is about 7 bucks Canadian at Napa, just change them with every oil change! Cheapest insurance ever!

Zakre said:
bottlerocket said:

Amen! Seriously the Wix filter(a good filter) is about 7 bucks Canadian at Napa, just change them with every oil change! Cheapest insurance ever!

What is the cost difference between the WIX and Yamaha's filter?

Thanks

Chester

:jump: :jump: :jump:

:letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow: :letsnow:

Back