• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex water run!!

My Apex was good on water until I added Slydog skiis , now they spray water AT the clutchs,

BEWARE !!

CLUTCHS & WATER = SWIM

Well I took the Attak on water on Friday. Only 90 or so feet with 6 passes, but for my first time that was good enough. I was close to refusing to do it until my friend did several passes with his Renegade and the his wife did it with her 1200 TNT. That really left me with little choice, I would never be able to remove my helmet in public again. Not to mention upholding the Yamaha name. I hit the water at 100 kph (by GPS), it barely slowed down. The last pass however felt as if the belt slipped so I parked it after that. Now, I am a nondrinker, but after that I really needed a drink. I wish I had read this thread that said to take the drink BEFORE you try it.
But I am glad I did it. There has been close calls on lakes before with open water, now I know that I can cross if there is absolutely no alternative.

Tycho998 said:
Well I took the Attak on water on Friday. Only 90 or so feet with 6 passes, but for my first time that was good enough. I was close to refusing to do it until my friend did several passes with his Renegade and the his wife did it with her 1200 TNT. That really left me with little choice, I would never be able to remove my helmet in public again. Not to mention upholding the Yamaha name. I hit the water at 100 kph (by GPS), it barely slowed down. The last pass however felt as if the belt slipped so I parked it after that. Now, I am a nondrinker, but after that I really needed a drink. I wish I had read this thread that said to take the drink BEFORE you try it.
But I am glad I did it. There has been close calls on lakes before with open water, now I know that I can cross if there is absolutely no alternative.

Yup, she slips, but at least I know its not only me.....

I'd LOVE to try this with someone else's SLED LOL, I get goose bumps just thinking of the fact of sinking it!!! then the REAL fun begins... :o|

I'd rather sink a 2 stroker its a lot easier to bring back to life!

Have fun guys and post VID'S for us to look at... ;)!

apltx08 said:
I'd LOVE to try this with someone else's SLED LOL, I get goose bumps just thinking of the fact of sinking it!!! then the REAL fun begins... :o|

I'd rather sink a 2 stroker its a lot easier to bring back to life!

Have fun guys and post VID'S for us to look at... ;)!

What I like to run is spring meltwater on ice, we get it preety deep like 2-3 ft in places and can be kilometers long. Locals know how much the shore opens up near rockys on wahnipitae. Picture a meandering river, but shallow enough that even if you do sink, your shallow enough to not cause a problem.

You should play in the shallows, good times!

Yamahammer485 said:
What I like to run is spring meltwater on ice, we get it preety deep like 2-3 ft in places and can be kilometers long. Locals know how much the shore opens up near rockys on wahnipitae. Picture a meandering river, but shallow enough that even if you do sink, your shallow enough to not cause a problem.

You should play in the shallows, good times!

OK!...only if I can use your sled :jump:

These are captured pictures from the videos. I do not have a site to post videos. Looking at the first picture you can really see the force of the water hitting the belly pan, no wonder water will get to the belt .[/img]

Attachments

• TNT 1200.jpg
    TNT 1200.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Attak on water.jpg
    Attak on water.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Renagade and TNT1200.jpg
    Renagade and TNT1200.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Attak on water2.jpg
    Attak on water2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 85
looks like fun,but please guys,be very very careful,i dont want to sound like a grandpa but we lost a couple guys here in northern ontario riding open water,at least wear a floater suit,it will double youre chances of survival if something happens

The belly pan idea is popular misconception about the apex, when in fact any slipping is caused by steam through the exhaust holes in the tunnel and clutch misalignment. Also, a shallow helix will make you run better.

I decided to finally put these vids on ty, and you can see that I am slipping the belt with the clutches being 4ft off the ground. Also, the faster you go on water with the apex, more water goes in the holes = more slip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLR7IbPe1U

Theres a better vid but I lost it on youtube. This is spring run off...

I have played in the water a lot over the years. One time in Munising Mi it was -14 degress and we were crossing a couple hundred feet of open water. I have had a good time doing it but at 48 years old I think I am about ready to retire from it. I would still do some short runs but don't want to push my luck any more.
Good luck and be carefull.
Bruce

pat the rat said:
looks like fun,but please guys,be very very careful,i dont want to sound like a grandpa but we lost a couple guys here in northern ontario riding open water,at least wear a floater suit,it will double youre chances of survival if something happens

I agree totally, I wear a FZR floater suit and the boots. But like I mention above, knowing you can do it if you have to helps. With more trails being closed from people buying more and more land, trails are being forced to run lakes. And I hate crossing lakes that I do not know, to many of then have spots that never freeze. We have had a couple sink here in North Bay also.

Back