• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ARE YOU READY!!!

Once again, the problem with making more power in the 1000cc class is that you need to spin the engine with higher rpm than a cvt clutch system can handle. If you want, say, 180 hp without a turbo, you'd probably need at least 14000 rpm. The current apex spins at below 11000 rpm. Sled motors also spin high rpm for longer, and more importantly with a lot more time at full or high load than a sports bike. The current apex has a down-gearing between the motor and the primary clutch to get the primary clutch rpm down to about 8500 rpm max. They could of course down-gear it further for more motor rpm, with higher losses in the down-gearing as a result. I think the biggest problem is getting the reliability for constant high rpm, high load operation to acceptable levels with a higher revving motor.
Edit: Or they could use a turbo or supercharger. I can't imagine they'd ever put a factory turbo on the 4 cylinder motor, because it would be too easy to get too much power out of it, that would upset authorities and insurance companies, plus it would be too easy too fiddle with the boost and break the motor from lack of fuel or over-boost.
This is true. And the newer R1 engines are shorter stroke (less torque) than the Apex (58mm) to allow higher revving while maintaining the same piston speed. However, I still think Yamaha should stick with the 4 cylinder. It's area under the power curve that counts, which is why Apex's beat up on 2s with "164hp". A few more rpm wouldn't hurt, plus a bump in compression and maybe a slightly hotter cam. These engines are very stout and unstressed. Yamaha really doesn't need to use boost, which is generally less reliable and can't compare with respect to sound and response.

If you followed the viper from it conception it was rumored in the very beginning that Yamaha had a hand in the creation of the procross chassis. To say that it is purely an AC design is ignorant. A lot of work went into fitting the Genesis engine in that sled. You can see it by simply removing the side panels. This wasn't a fly by night operation. I think it's time for everybody to get used to the fact that the joint venture isn't going anywhere. And why wouldn't you be happy with that? Yamaha has the best engines on the market and nobody spends more time and money on suspension than AC! They prove that on the track every year.

The chassis was designed for the twin Suzuki. The Yamaha motor was cobbled in and sits way higher in the chassis then the Suzuki twin it was made for. Yamaha triple has a higher center of gravity then the Cat twin. Cat chassis was never designed for anything wider then a twin.

Back