• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

attak trenching

yeah, i'm seem to wonder why it is considered an on/off trail sled. doesn't impress me in the deep stuff. oh well i still love it and besides we usually don't get alot of deep stuff around here. just a fluke thing this year. still have my viper to play in the deep with.

nate007 said:
If you're putting a 2" track on it, that will make all the difference. Most of the sleds with the Rip Saw on it just won't go inthe deep stuff. Look at the Apex Mountain, it's an animal on the deep stuff.
There is definately a difference to be had with the correct setup!
I watched by buddy's "Gade 1000 mow through some unbelievable drifts the other night, and he only has an 1 3/4 track. I think with the 2" setup, you'll be happy.

Well I certainly hope so. I'm taking out the tunnel protectors and I'm adding a-arm protectors, but from the sounds of it the attack angle is the issue? I don't see how a track change will help with that. The APex Mtn is a 16x162x2.25, isn't that a big difference from a 15x144x2?

Also the darting is still killing me, I guess Powderhounds will fix that, , but the more I learn the more I realize that the common basic riding conditions here in Alaska actually mean a Mountain sled, not a cross-over. Trying not to get depressed, but adding $1500 to a $9k sled to get it to where you need is making me feel stupid about the whole thing #$%&*

hayastusa said:
bummerman said:
I put a 1.5" freeride trak on my attak with no other adjustments. Now I have no problem in the powder. I keep up fine with my buddies on there mountain machines in deep powder no problems now. Attaks don't suck in the powder just needs a paddle track as apposed to the ripsaw finger track.
If this were true I'd get one in a heartbeat. But I find it difficult to imagine anything making my Attak "float". I'd have to see it to believe it.

I did put the yamaha mountain skis on my attak before my track change and it didn't help trenching at all. If anything it floated the front end and made trenching worse. I couldn't believe the difference going to a paddle track as small as 1.5" made. As far as the attak floating, I have to really whatch my throttle to stay on top of the snow. I don't do a lot of high speed runs in the powder, but when I do it's usally along with an 07 vector mnt se and an 08 fx nytro. I usually can take them no problem. Staying above the snow is all about keeping track speed and actuall speed close.

So Bummerman, going to the rocky's to play in some deep stuff with my Attak. What track should I install to help this thing go better in the steep & deep?

dlange said:
hayastusa said:
My Attak is a total and complete waste of time once you get into anything over 6 inches deep. I installed Mountain ski's made numerous adjustments to the skid including pulling up the limiter strap. I still get schooled by anything on the snow old/new, short track/long...except another Attak. Totally embarrassing. :o|

I have to agree. I put a 1.5 intense track and slydog powderhounds on mine and it still is a backhoe. I'm not very heavy either. I fixed my problems with a m6 with a 153. Now thats floatn' :Rockon:

But you have to admit, the powerderhounds and the intense made the attak 100 times better. I have the same setup and it kicks the $hit out of the stock setup.

Snowman269 said:
So Bummerman, going to the rocky's to play in some deep stuff with my Attak. What track should I install to help this thing go better in the steep & deep?

From what I've heard the 1.5" intense track is good, but I only have experiance with the freeride. I would have gone with bigger lugs, but that requires driver, gearing, and clutching changes. I would recommend an 1.5" freeride for a relatively simple change. It will definitely be an improvement for this sort of riding, but the attak requires a lot of work when you put steep with deep. Keep in mind that to put a 1.5" track on this machine you have to remove the heat exchanger cover/tunnel protector so if you usually run studs you may not want to do that.

No I don't run studs & I am removing the tunnel protectors today since they like to hold ice.

I was thinking about a 1 3/4 or 2" Predator. I haven't checked out a freeride or intense.

Thanks!

Oh, how about disconnecting the swaybar for sidehilling?

I'm seeing our Mono skids don't like to be extended, so a 144 option would likely have to be relocating the skid furthur back. I probably won't go this route, but I am looking at the option.

Do I need to cover vents with filterskins to keep out the fluff?

Thanks again.

Back