• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak Troubles

Attak44

Extreme
Hey Guy's,
I just changed the doughnuts and Y pipes on my 06 Attak less than 300 miles ago. Yesterday it started backfiring on de-cel which tells me I have doughnut troubles again. I put my gloves over the exhaust while idling and the sled quits. It sounds fine and runs good but still I get the intermittent back fire.
I did notice after I shut the sled off, there was steam/exhaust/something coming up through the handlebar area.

Anyone ever have this happen before? I just want to make sure it's actually doughnuts before I go tearing it all apart again. Heading out on business travel for the week and need to have it together for a trip to Wis Friday morning so I'm a bit short on time.

Thanks as always.

Attak44 said:
Hey Guy's,
I just changed the doughnuts and Y pipes on my 06 Attak less than 300 miles ago. Yesterday it started backfiring on de-cel which tells me I have doughnut troubles again. I put my gloves over the exhaust while idling and the sled quits. It sounds fine and runs good but still I get the intermittent back fire.
I did notice after I shut the sled off, there was steam/exhaust/something coming up through the handlebar area.

Anyone ever have this happen before? I just want to make sure it's actually doughnuts before I go tearing it all apart again. Heading out on business travel for the week and need to have it together for a trip to Wis Friday morning so I'm a bit short on time.

Thanks as always.

how many miles on the Attak before the donuts went

Ok, I just tore it apart. I pulled the tank off and took off the heat shield over the flex pipes. I then re-connected the tank and blocked it up so I could see the flex pipes. Started the sled and watched. No exhaust leaking sound, no exhaust leaking around the doughnuts or flex pipes. Looked under the tunnel and could see no exhaust leads at the Y pipe connection. Checked all brackets to make sure everything was tight. I plugged the rear exhaust to see if it would force exhaust through a leaking area...nothing. The sled quits when I plug the rear exhaust.
Put her all back together.

Is it possible that with the extremely cold weather (minus 14) the the FI would retart the timing or rich'n her up to point where I would have a bit of fuel in the pipe on decel, therefore causing the backfire? I'm really baffled on this one.

Any thoughts guys?

my attak would occasionally have a rattle/vibration. sometimes some exhaust up through the bars othertimes fine. turned out 2 flares on the flex pipes were cracked. maybe something to check closely ?

Interesting, I've heard that same rattle! I checked the flex pipes close when I had them off, however it's possible one could have cracked while tightening up the doughnut brackets.
I'll tear into her again. It's not that hard, just a huge hassle.
Thanks for the input

PM

Attak44,

Is your inbox full? I can't get my PM's to go to you. Might be on my end but I don't see anything wrong.

Mine has sounded like an exhaust leak this season.. No backfiring yet so I am running it for now.... I did my donuts around 3,000 ago... I have a new set but have yet to tear into doing that.. Might next weekend as were suppose to get rain this coming monday... :(

SharkAttak said:
Attak44 said:
7500 the first time. 12000 at this change. Just put 300 miles on and now the backfire

i got 5,000 mi. on mine, i'm not looking forward to tearing that apart to do

It's easy to do. Do it in the spring. Get the SS Y Pipes from Yami.

I just tore down a 07 attak wapita! ti header pipes looked like someone cut with a plasma cutter both gone at 3000 miles . I have 2000 miles on a sister sled same year sarting to make that sound rattle and such. Im getting my excell dealership I guess Im going with there out the back model can would like to try the under tunnel one looks like its cleaner looking and would give me room to store gas on ducktail without the hear problem.I have been told by a few dealers that a steel header pipe now can be had for 90.00 per header pipe stainless 375.00 each . I think Yamaha should have addressed this and recalled them all but being the cheap guys they are the buyer had to foot the bill that sucked.

Yami does cover all parts and labor under their emissions warantee. Which is for 3 years? I believe? They covered mine.Last spring. Maybe its' 2 years.
SS pipes are $90us each..your dealer might help ou t with that if your a good customer.

My sled will back fire on deceleration after a long wide open run. But not normal riding. I changed my donuts & pipes at 4000 miles.

guardrail said:
My sled will back fire on deceleration after a long wide open run. But not normal riding. I changed my donuts & pipes at 4000 miles.

x2...If your running over 10.700/10.800 WOT your timming starts pulling back and will tend to make it BACKFIRE on decel after prolonged WOT, on HARD PACKED mine will spin 11.000/11.100 and for sure will backfire on decel, when riding in a normal lower RPM'S I'm fine.

Check your centre intersection of the exhaust at the HEADER & MUFFLER junction when sled is cold, it tends to CRACK at the "Y" of the rear exhaust and as it warms up the cracks close up with the heat expansion and makes hard to see...

Attachments

• CIMG0024.JPG
    CIMG0024.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 103

Back