• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Av Gas with a 4-stroke turbo/SC?

snowfix

Extreme
I'm a newbe to 4 strokes but after test riding an Apex and a Vector/turbo I'm convinced it's time to switch. I've got an Apex snowchecked and now I've been researching turbos and superchargers (Alpine front mount and MPI). MPI says you need to mix at least 50/50 race fuel to get the kind of Hp numbers I crave. Can I get to 200hp on a turbo without mixing?

What about Av gas? I know Av gas wasn't built for high RPM motors, but I've been running it in my high comp 2-stroke for years with 0 pre detenation issues. Anybody running it in a 4-stroke?

I'd like to go with a supercharger mainly for installation ease. Is a turbo really that hard? [/b]

I used 100LL in my Bender turbo when running high boost, Works fine.

I also have an Apex (GT) on the way. I will prob. be using the MPI supercharger, unless another blower comes along that I like better.

The turbo was very nice, but I want a blower on this one.

Have you seen our new Thunder Charger? It's a Roots style supercharger.

Attachments

• snowestexpo1.jpg
    snowestexpo1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 98
Pro-mod I have seen that pic before, do you have more info and pics avail? :pics:

It bothers me to not see an intercooler on that unit, but I am interested in more info. :Rockon:

Guys that are looking for 200hp on pump gas from the MPI supercharger for either the RX-1 or the Apex, sit tight. This option will become available soon, but not until it is tested thoroughly throughout the summer.

POWERHAULIC said:
I have run 14# on 100LL, and 11# on a blend of 100ll and pump.

Is that with stock pistons and one head gasket? I was a little worried the lead in the fuel might screw something up.

Thrusted Vector, We have not put it on the dyno yet. Our main goal was to put it on the snow to make sure we didn't have any issues that don't show up on the dyno. Things like throttle chop, or running out of fuel going up the mountain or flooding out going down. So far we have gone up through the trees, pointed it vertical, jumped it, went down through the trees and road the trails back to the trailer every time. LaLaLa We are happy with the on snow performance. We will however have dyno numbers for everyone soon. We will keep everyone informed on our progress. Untill then I got some pics of our ride in Island Park sunday. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• twotop.jpg
    twotop.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 66
  • twotop1.jpg
    twotop1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 62
  • twotop2.jpg
    twotop2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 77
  • rivershot.jpg
    rivershot.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 76
AV Gas tough to Beat

100LL is a highly regulated fuel obviously.. FAA. Technically it cannot even be sold to the public, but it is still available at many mom and pop airports. LL means low lead, it rates very close to unleaded fuels, and many would argue that lead is in fact good for combustion. Its the only fuel you can buy across the globe and know you are getting the exact same product every time. 100LL is often marketed as 104 Race GAS. It has a high MON rating which is high temp heavy load testing (108 - 110) MON factor, which is most important for a turbo motor. (Airplanes are turbos too) The RON factor is 100 - 104. The average of the two, RON+MON/2 is pump octane 104, averaging down. Pump octane numbers are not good indicators of what fuel your engine requires. 100LL is cheaper and better in most cases. Does this mean that VP -12 is not a great fuel for your turbo? NO not at all. But bang for the buck 100LL is as good as it gets. I run it in 15:1 2-strokes with no detonation problems. Also run it my turbo at 15# boost, stock pistons. There are many other factors in fuel such as specific gravity, etc. (A Graham Bell overviews much of this in the two stroke tuners handbook) Well known watercrafter George Grabowski has also published a few related articles. They do not neccesarily recommend AVGas, but if you read between the lines, it's tough to beat.

Back