• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Back to the Apex

watch out on ebay as there are a bunch of sellers trying to sell the pre upgrade shock. dealer kept mine when i got the up graded one.

This is what worries me about Yamaha - how did they get the shock calibration so wrong in the first place. Brand new suspension and chance to make the horde of Apex riders want to upgrade and they blew it.

Yamaha is messing around with air shocks for awhile now to save some weight, air shocks are not a bad thing but you should run higher end ones, the updated shock for the Apex is not to bad but pretty much bottom of the barrel for what could be offered from fox, my thoughts are how long will they last before giving out and what can you do if it does fail out on the trails?? can you limp home on a blown air shock?? or are you pretty much F%#ked? a premium coil over would have been more reliable setup on the single shot, if they give out you can still limp home without hurting the track, Hyper gear has a nice coil over for the single shot suspension but are pricey.

No worries now about blowing the air shock. Plus the up graded wouldn't handle me,snow build up and the goodies I carry. It was past the sag needed by far. So Hygear did the trick. $800 ish dollars. Sold the Up grade for $250 so I'm happy.

So I will be 60 in October, I see maybe 10 years left in me for sledding, will see what the future brings.

We'll I'm going on 71 yrs and can't wait to hit the trails. I averaged 2k miles last season. If you aren't confident about the next 10 years you better change your life style.

They were in a tough spot. A spot they put themselves in.
The quality of build is down.
The ride and handling are up.
They each have their own issues.
As long as you are happy with what you ride, then go ride!!!!!!!!!!
Only the drivetrain quality is down. Everything else about the sled is as good or better.....much better!
I don't understand why some put the Apex on this reliability pedestal, it wasn't without issues.

Yamaha is messing around with air shocks for awhile now to save some weight, air shocks are not a bad thing but you should run higher end ones, the updated shock for the Apex is not to bad but pretty much bottom of the barrel for what could be offered from fox, my thoughts are how long will they last before giving out and what can you do if it does fail out on the trails?? can you limp home on a blown air shock?? or are you pretty much F%#ked? a premium coil over would have been more reliable setup on the single shot, if they give out you can still limp home without hurting the track, Hyper gear has a nice coil over for the single shot suspension but are pricey.

Does anyone know if you blow the upgraded shock, can you at least tow the sled with out a person on it & not damage the track or other items in the suspension.

Does anyone know if you blow the upgraded shock, can you at least tow the sled with out a person on it & not damage the track or other items in the suspension.

I blew the first version of the singleshot on my 2016 Apex and was able to drive it back to the trailer without the track hitting the tunnel. Was just a slow ride back!

I would think it depends on the gear and size of the person riding it?

Thank's for that information. IF I may ask, how much do you weigh.

300 with gear. Not sure if the weight matters though, the suspension hits those rubber stops and can't collapse any farther, no matter the weight of the person. I think that's intentional so you can limp it back if it does fail.

Only the drivetrain quality is down. Everything else about the sled is as good or better.....much better!
I don't understand why some put the Apex on this reliability pedestal, it wasn't without issues.

Hmm cause the last gen Apex is refined to perfection. every point is greaseable, bushings last donuts last. The only real downside is the titanium exhaust they had to go back to which is pure crap. Thankfully there is a stainless replacement. Now the pre 11 Apex had issues such as donuts and bushings but they are replaceable. Better then Cat with their cracked tunnels for instance. Id sooner change a few bushings then a tunnel. I think the best feature of the APEX is the drive train, compared to the Cat its bullet proof.

Assuming proper maintenance:
There are lots of reason, the obvious is the motors and associated electronics, then you have the tried, tested, beat to wee drivetrain that NEVER fails, then you have all the wiring that is properly loomed. There was a notice about a wire rub possible issue with the apex back in the day and it was such a remote chance of it happening but they put out a tsb. On my sidewinder the wires coming out of the fuse box all lay right on the metal bracket, unprotected.

The chassis is heavy but so strong, I ride mine hard and jump a lot and still amazed at how strong it is.

The clutches and 8DN belt just work....practically forever.

I had aftermarket ZX2 rear suspension(the plastic no maintenance one) and so I never had any of the mono issues. My sled for almost a decade was work on it in the summer, do the maintenance/upgrades, etc then ride all year and never look at anything mechanical. Oh and yeah it was stupid freaking fast too! Boosted with a turbo or SC I owned them both and never a break down that I could blame Yamaha for.

I own a 17 SW and its still in the shop getting a new motor with 300 miles on it, ruined my season, and I basically have no faith it will run this year. I need 2000 miles of turn key to start building confidence in it. Now I'm looking at driveshaft bearing, oil tank leaking, roll over valve delete, rear wheel kit, among other mods that a 17K sled should not need.

My crazy modded apex I crashed would crush this modded SW in every way. The apex handled better, was faster, sounded better, and more reliable. It was within 15lbs weight wise too, SW's are not lightweights!

Ride what makes you happy in the end, it appears the writing is on the wall for me and what makes me happy. Long live the Tapex! (turbo apex is THE perfect sled for ME)

Back