• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BAD Experience on My Attak

sxmatt

Pro
Went riding last night, temp 29 degrees, crusty snow, good depth though. Most trail were very nice but some were BAD!!! 1-2 foot rolls. My attak would bottom on every mogul even with RA on stiffest setting. I am 220 with gear. Not only would the rear bottom, many times the front would also bottom. It also had the worst rebound kick even with the RA on the hardest setting, which should slow the rebound and minimize the kick. Swapped with my friends SxR and had none of the same reactions. Disappointing to say the least. So much for a rough trail sled. I know I could go to the stiffer rear spring. But with the stiffer spring you would have to dial in more rebound on the RA which makes for a VERY stiff ride. I guess it is all about trade-offs.

The other problem I had was the engine DIED! Was running fine all night, came to a road crossing, let off the throttle and it sputtered and stopped. The warning light and the engine icon was flashing. It would start but would not run. Pulled it apart in a guys barn, nothing obvious wrong, put it back together and started and it ran, took a chance to run it and had no problems running it the 50 miles back to the truck, it ran normal on the way back. Took it to the dealer today, did a diagnostic on it and it showed the problem being a ignition coil code. Will see what dealer will do to remedy it.

Last but not least, my secondary clutch has major pitting in it on the sheaves. I am sure it is a casting issue.

So far not a great experience coming back to Yamaha. Season is just begining, it will just take some time to work out the details to get it right.

Sorry this was so long.

Matt
;)!

All I can say is ..............WOW!

Sorry you're having trouble with your new iron. Short of the hand grips not working (to my standards) and the 2 rear wheels loosing their rubber..........my Attak has been the best riding Yamaha I have ever owned.

I intentionally went looking for trouble today (rough trails) so that I could actually see how the suspension worked on worn out trails. I was "crusing" at 50 - 60 mph.......and was in full control......over the rough trails.

Have your dealer check out your skid while you have it in the shop. I've got to go 210 "dry".......and probably 230 -240 "wet" while riding the sled..............and I've done NOTHING to the suspension exept for playing with the dial today.........which made a difference placing it on extreme soft when it got real choppy..........only bottomed out once on the "long deep whoops"........but then again....I'm not ditch banging either......just cruising over the chop.

also sounds like your throttle over ride system (TORS) may need adjusment. Adusting the Tors should take about 5 minutes if that.

Finally got to ride my Attak on real trails today. I weigh about 235 with gear I have the heavier spring on setting 2 on the cam adjuster only bottomed twice on 2foot square edgers but was going about 60. I love the way it rides I think you need the stiffer spring don't waste any more time with the standard spring. The sled rides excellent on on 2 foot rollers going about 60 get the other spring it will be a different sled.

is the coil built into the spark plug caps on these motors? if so should be a easy fix. I remeber hearing something about these caps being bolted to the engine because of them possibly vibrating loose.

Matt check your RA cable and make sure it is not broken. If your sled is still at the dealer see if they can check the pressure in your shock. Your experiance sounds a little like you have lost shock pressure or have a damping issue. Try this turn RA to full soft push down on back of sled throught the stroke, turn RA to hard and push through the stroke you WILL see a major difference the rear will come up much slower. If the RA is working then you might be a candidate for the stiff spring (my buddy has one and if you ride really aggressively it is awesome and for 230lb the ride comfo :D rt for him is great) .

Stinx

I am not sure where the coil is located, but all the plug caps were tight when we tore it apart on the trail.

Deltabox

I am concerned about going to the heavier springs because I am concerned about the ride quality when the trails are smooth or not too rough. I also believe you need to run your RA on a stiffer setting because the stiffer spring need more rebound damping and the RA adjuster mainly controls rebound, both in combination make for a very stiff ride. But at least it may ride better in the really rough.

The other problem is it seems to have too much rebound kick, even with the RA in the stiffer position. Maybe something wrong with the shock and if that is ok maybe it needs some different valving?

Thanks
Matt ;)!

You may possibly have a bad shock, shouldn't be getting that much kick especially with the rebound under full tension.
Have dealer check the gas pressure in the shock. You are on the line for the stiff spring, small bump compliance will be fine for your weight provided you get the correct sag.
The fact that you are bottoming the front end as well makes me wonder how hard you are pushing the sled. Are you using the throttle to time the bumps and control transfer?
You may be in need of some extreme duty suspension components. Are you any relation to Blair? :D :D :D
The engine stutter was just plain weird, again I wonder how hard you are beating on it but it shouldn't quit.
R

mrrestless

I taught blair everthing he knows!! Truely I don't beat or hammer my sled. I like to ride and a good pace and hate to slow down too much when the bumps come. I think the shoch is working fine because when you change the RA position you can feel a change.

As for the igniton coil problems that cause the stuttering, I am not riding this sled any different from any other Yamaha I have owned. I never had problems with those sleds. Again I am not beating this sled, but I am riding the sled they way it was designed and advertised--rough trail.

Thanks
Matt
;)!

sxmatt said:
mrrestless

I taught blair everthing he knows!! Truely I don't beat or hammer my sled. I like to ride and a good pace and hate to slow down too much when the bumps come. I think the shoch is working fine because when you change the RA position you can feel a change.

Thanks
Matt
;)!

Just because the remote adjuster makes a difference does not mean the shock has the correct nitrogen pressure in it. Both mine, and my buddies 05's had low pressure in them when they were brand new. You get very poor compression and rebound dampening when pressure is low. Get it checked to rule it out.

matt i'm having the same problem i got my shock on 6 the remote adjust on max and i'm still bottem out. i can feel my front skid were the straps are kick back. i was going 10 mph over stutter bumps and thats all i could feel under neath me was the front skid.i'm 215 might have to go to stiffer spring. i moved my front limiter straps the number 3 hole and still does it. ant info from any of u guys will be nice thanks.

Back