• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ball joint Update!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see both sides of the coin beleive me but a single year with that much changed is a red flag. Also to me the problem with bent subframes and balljoints is widespread, it doesn't appear to be just a select few which in my opinion is a mistake in engineering.

No argument intended just another way to look at it.

Its a real shame Yamaha doesn't want to take ownership of the problems and come good for a free fix. I dumped my Nytro. I liked a lot of things about the machine. However when stoopid things start bending and coming loose from normal use its a huge turnoff in contrast to what we paid for these machines.

Nothing has been released yet to my knowledge, so until they make a real notification all of you are just speculating. I could understand your gripes if they didn't do anything but until something is sent to me solid, I cannot validate any claims posted in this thread.

gade-thrasher said:
theCATman said:
TurboJamie said:
My question is and will always remain the same why should the buyers pay for yamaha's mistake? It should be a NO cost fix no matter how you slice it.

Amen!!!

I completely agree that a buyer should not pay for a mistake. But would you really call the '08 design a mistake? I would bet that Yamaha would argue that it performed just as they wanted it to. And that the '09 design is simply an improvement over the previous design.

Isn't this what most corporations call "continuous product improvement"? I don't think there was anything particularily wrong with the '08 design. Yamaha just simply made it better. So if you want the improved design, I think you should pay for it. Now if it really resulted in a situation where the '08 design could put someone in danger ... then yes, I would agree that Yamaha should issue a recall and fix it free of charge.

Let me put it to you this way ... If Yamaha hadn't come out with an improvement over the '08 design, would you still be complaining?

If you disagree with this comment, let's please not start a huge arguement ... I'm simply trying get show the other side of the coin. ;)!

thrasher
I'm guessing you have done many miles on a 08 Nytro...?....
I'm not trying to argue but i could not disagree more with your view on this. If they offer an updated design and its at a subsidized price then yes..........believe me, this would be how the Japanese OEM's admitt to a problem, although somehow without ever acknowledging it.......funny really, better than nothing I guess.............we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, Mr Sled & others.......I know yours is fine, thats great, lets not deny that many others have had problems, it just gets people upset. (me) Although, not sure how your ball joints and a-arm bushings are not shot like everyone elses...?

While I'm hoping they will offer something to fix their original mistake.......it would be great if they fixed it at their expense.

It's not all bad, this sled has mega potential, I love mine even after a seasons worth of wrenching to get it handling to my standards.

cheers, Brian

gormleyflyer2002 said:
gade-thrasher said:
theCATman said:
TurboJamie said:
My question is and will always remain the same why should the buyers pay for yamaha's mistake? It should be a NO cost fix no matter how you slice it.

Amen!!!

I completely agree that a buyer should not pay for a mistake. But would you really call the '08 design a mistake? I would bet that Yamaha would argue that it performed just as they wanted it to. And that the '09 design is simply an improvement over the previous design.

Isn't this what most corporations call "continuous product improvement"? I don't think there was anything particularily wrong with the '08 design. Yamaha just simply made it better. So if you want the improved design, I think you should pay for it. Now if it really resulted in a situation where the '08 design could put someone in danger ... then yes, I would agree that Yamaha should issue a recall and fix it free of charge.

Let me put it to you this way ... If Yamaha hadn't come out with an improvement over the '08 design, would you still be complaining?

If you disagree with this comment, let's please not start a huge arguement ... I'm simply trying get show the other side of the coin. ;)!

thrasher
I'm guessing you have done many miles on a 08 Nytro...?....
I'm not trying to argue but i could not disagree more with your view on this. If they offer an updated design and its at a subsidized price then yes..........believe me, this would be how the Japanese OEM's admitt to a problem, although somehow without ever acknowledging it.......funny really, better than nothing I guess.............we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, Mr Sled & others.......I know yours is fine, thats great, lets not deny that many others have had problems, it just gets people upset. (me) Although, not sure how your ball joints and a-arm bushings are not shot like everyone elses...?

While I'm hoping they will offer something to fix their original mistake.......it would be great if they fixed it at their expense.

It's not all bad, this sled has mega potential, I love mine even after a seasons worth of wrenching to get it handling to my standards.

cheers, Brian

I would not believe anybody who said that their ball joints and A arm bushings on their Nytros are fine. My Wife's Nytro has 1200 very easy miles on it and her ball joints are so worn out that I would guess that they would soon become a safety issue! After removing the front shocks and springs I was amazed at how much slop was in the front end. After taking off the spindles the ball joints are so worn they almost feel like they could fall apart. Also the A arms have so much play in them you would think the sled had 5 thousand hard miles on it. Yamaha better have some kind of "fix" for the front end of the 08 Nytros or they will lose a lot more than the money it cost to rectify the situation.

I love mine......But.... I do find it disturbing that Yamaha has a seperate video section in the 09 video where Adam Sylvester is (basically in my eyes) saying how crappy the 08's are and how great the 09's are and then says look here's what the press has to say about our new geometry...... So I didn't have anything go wrong with mine. does that really mean anything?????? not really. I know it's not a very fuzzy feeling owning a 08. Anyone who sees the 09 video has to say "why the hell would I buy a 08 after watching this?" Say what you want that video doesn't really do much for 08 used Nytro sales.

As far as the ride associated with the geometry changes I've heard a couple people say they couldn't tell a big difference in the 08 vs. 09. Some others say its huge. Who do you believe? What bothers me more than anything is the re-inforced sub-frame. To me this more than anything throws a flag up to me. Was Yamaha's problem a manufacturing problem or just a weak design? I'm not the kind of person who wants something for nothing. But all the changes after 1 season and aggressively marketing those changes has me scratching my head.

Superman said:
I love mine......But.... I do find it disturbing that Yamaha has a seperate video section in the 09 video where Adam Sylvester is (basically in my eyes) saying how crappy the 08's are and how great the 09's are and then says look here's what the press has to say about our new geometry...... So I didn't have anything go wrong with mine. does that really mean anything?????? not really. I know it's not a very fuzzy feeling owning a 08. Anyone who sees the 09 video has to say "why the hell would I buy a 08 after watching this?" Say what you want that video doesn't really do much for 08 used Nytro sales.

As far as the ride associated with the geometry changes I've heard a couple people say they couldn't tell a big difference in the 08 vs. 09. Some others say its huge. Who do you believe? What bothers me more than anything is the re-inforced sub-frame. To me this more than anything throws a flag up to me. Was Yamaha's problem a manufacturing problem or just a weak design? I'm not the kind of person who wants something for nothing. But all the changes after 1 season and aggressively marketing those changes has me scratching my head.

I 100% agree with all your statemets as well, the nytro has MEGA potential but I feel it might have been rushed to market a touch. The apex basically hit the ground running with very little in reliability problems. The nytro motor is awesome thats one thing you cannot deny this sled. Just wish the chassis was as good. Time will tell what they do to fix them.

My ball joints are not fine.... but the idea that the all front ends are bending and Yamaha needs to change everyones is ludicrous in my eyes. My best guess since thats all we have at this point and no real bulletin from Yamaha is that your ball joint will be replaced at no charge.... but thats just a guess.

Why dont we all see what comes when they do validate the problems and then you can unload but for now this thread is pointless.

MrSled said:
My ball joints are not fine.... but the idea that the all front ends are bending and Yamaha needs to change everyones is ludicrous in my eyes. My best guess since thats all we have at this point and no real bulletin from Yamaha is that your ball joint will be replaced at no charge.... but thats just a guess.

Why dont we all see what comes when they do validate the problems and then you can unload but for now this thread is pointless.

I agree that we should take a wait and see aproach and thats exactly what I have done. I have a three year warranty and I told My dealer about My concerns and that I will wait till the Fall for warranty work. I figure by that time Yamaha will have had plenty of time to hash out the problems and present us with whatever solutions they have. I'm confident that there will be solutions for all our problems and I'm sure it won't be free unless its a defective part or parts. I also don't feel this thread is pointless. It's the middle of June and threads like this just show how passionate some sledders are and shows Yamaha how important the handling of these issues are. I hope Yamaha is as passionate as We are when it comes to our 08 Nytros. ;)!

I truly believe that these type of problems will be hindering Snowmobile makers from here of out. As they try to make snowmobiles lighter, they are making the sleds weaker in certain points on the sled. So in reality, we are the ones demanding lighter sleds which make quality an issue.

You can look at it another way too that the manufacturer is only as good as its weakest supplier. They all have the problems, however its how the problem is handled that makes or breaks the consumers opinion of the company. I feel in my personal opinion that yamaha is and has been a little slow on addressing issues with the nytro. It just seems they spent more time on tuning the front end on the 09 then helping the guys out with problems with the 08's.

In this sport if you can basically upgrade to an 09 for less than a 1000 dollars then buy all means send me the bill. My dealer has said nothing to me about paying for this update but if I have to I will. If I wanted a sled that breaks down, burns up, and leaves me standed I would of picked up my 800XP X I ordered. Yeah my ball joints are ruined but I think the subframe is still straight.(I have never really looked at it close and dont plan on it) The Nytro was good to me and even with the minimal amount of problems they had i'd buy another. There wasnt one issue that would leave someone stranded on the trail and that says alot.

unpride said:
In this sport if you can basically upgrade to an 09 for less than a 1000 dollars then buy all means send me the bill. My dealer has said nothing to me about paying for this update but if I have to I will. If I wanted a sled that breaks down, burns up, and leaves me standed I would of picked up my 800XP X I ordered. Yeah my ball joints are ruined but I think the subframe is still straight.(I have never really looked at it close and dont plan on it) The Nytro was good to me and even with the minimal amount of problems they had i'd buy another. There wasnt one issue that would leave someone stranded on the trail and that says alot.

I don't think your 800r xp comment is fair having logged 6587 trouble free miles with gas and oil only, I beleive that statement is a little harsh. I could say the same of my nytro which layed in the shop the majority of the winter awaiting a back ordered subframe.

In the end we all sit and wait to hear of an update or what will be done. The nytro has mega potential and an awesome engine, I haven't sold mine yet still waiting to see what is going to be done this fall on weather I keep it or dump it. The deal breaker is keep it if they fix it free dump it if there is any cost to fix or update what so ever.

TurboJamie said:
unpride said:

I don't think your 800r xp comment is fair having logged 6587 trouble free miles with gas and oil only, I beleive that statement is a little harsh. I could say the same of my nytro which layed in the shop the majority of the winter awaiting a back ordered subframe.

In the end we all sit and wait to hear of an update or what will be done. The nytro has mega potential and an awesome engine, I haven't sold mine yet still waiting to see what is going to be done this fall on weather I keep it or dump it. The deal breaker is keep it if they fix it free dump it if there is any cost to fix or update what so ever.

LOL, oh the irony of you saying that his comment isn't "fair." What happened to being "fair" to most of us who went through an awesome season with our Nytro's? Anytime we say anything like this you basically call us delusional. I've said this before, I could provide plenty of examples (far more actually, but to be "fair" there are more Doo's out there) of people who are as mad at BRP and their XP's as you were at your Nytro.

We get it, you had a bad experience. I don't blame you for being mad, but your incessant rants that we're all in the same boat just is not true. Once I changed out my ski's and set up my sled it absolutely rocked. So much so, that this is the first year I'm actually keeping a sled rather than updating. If Yamaha offers an upgrade to the 09 front end, I may take it, I may not. I think those whose subframes are bent should be taken care of don't get me wrong, but just updating everyones is not realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back