• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

battery chargeing

NEED SNOW

Expert
How long can my new RX-1 set with out putting it on a battery charger.? also would I need to have it on 2 amps and 12 V...Thanks...

I would not leave it alone too long. You are better off storing your battery in a warm environment. Cold and time can wreak havoc with a battery. I have a Battery Tender and that works great. I also have a trickle charger which works good also the only thing is with the trickle charger you do not want to leave it on constantly but the Battery Tender can be left on and it maintains the battery at full charge without overcharging.

I have an optimate also. I rotate it around to all my stuff that needs charging for about a week at a time: Vette, VMAX, Quad, Motorhome and Warrior.

Like the guys above said the optimate is a great charger at your Yammie dealer for around $50. It can even desulfate damaged batteries. the 05 models at least, have a plug to the front of the oil tank that plugs right in to this specific charger.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. Batteries of this type will loose 1 or more% of the charge each day.
If you let a battery discharge the plates will sulfate.
If you let a discharged battery sit in the cold, it can freeze and crack.
SOOOOOOO, a charger, particularly the one in the link above is the way to go. Just my own little opinion here :mrgreen:

I purchased one of those chargers . My battery was completly dead... I let it sit for 3 days and it did nothing...I put the trickle charger on for 15 minutes and it got some charge... so I brought it back and got another one thinking it was defective.. It has been on for 48 hours and still no charge.. any suggestions? It never goes into the "test" mode as the directions say it will nor does it say it needs to desulphate :(

No need to be sorry.. But thanx... Not a bad deal buying an 03 RX1 silver edition loaded with all sorts of extrasand only 500 miles on it for $5000.00. so i guess 80$ for a new battery is a burden i must bear.. But you are right a good charger for the future!! THINK SNOW!! :Rockon:

I used my charger (Jr. Battery Buddy) for the first time and light stayed red for only 5 minutes, than green. I do start mine twice a month during the summer. These stock batteries really hold a charge good. My tractor took a full day.

Jim

Back