• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery No Longer Taking a Charge

yamahopper

I have a dead battery in my 05 Venture. The sled only has 900 miles on it and I have been very good about charging the battery as per the instructions. Every two weeks during the summer. It started the sled last month and this month dead, doesn't seem to want to take a charge either. Anyone else having this problem?? :Rockon: :bling

Have you been using a one amp or less charger??? "trickle charger" Anything larger could fry the battery.................MM.

Did you ever check the water/acid level in the battery? If it was low the battery could have sulfated. If you have one of them new fangled chargers that Yamaha sells, it MAY come back. I am still on my original battery in my '99 Vmax.

My 05 Venture is my first electric start sled and have been worried about the longevity of the battery. Have had motorcycles for a long time and have had to replace batteries every 2 or 3 years. But there a lot of posts like DaJudge that say they've had batteries last a long time. So far my Venture battery is holding a good charge this summer, I pulled it out since I store the sled in the summer. If your charging with the leads under the hood, maybe the posi lead got grounded out and shorted.

The funny part is, I dont even put a charger on mine all summer. I wait until November then I charge it. :dunno:

It seems to me that some of the '03 RX-1s' had battery issues also. Somebody on here who claimed to know batteries (I believe it was a person who worked in a dealer) stated that more than likely the batteries don't come from Yamaha Japan with a charge in them. If your dealer didn't properly charge the battery during prep, it won't last more than a season. Mine was one of the one's that didn't last and my sled was ran 1/2 hr. every two weeks. I put a Batcap 400 Amp Dry Cell in it and had no problems for 3 years now.

Jim

yamahopper said:
I have a dead battery in my 05 Venture. The sled only has 900 miles on it and I have been very good about charging the battery as per the instructions. Every two weeks during the summer. It started the sled last month and this month dead, doesn't seem to want to take a charge either. Anyone else having this problem?? :Rockon: :bling

Did you possibly leave the key on and shut the engine down with the kill switch last time you ran it?
I left my key on and the kill off by accident on my 05 Rage and my battery was dead once. The battery tender seems to have brought it back though.. ran all last year on the same battery. This will be my 3rd season on the original battery.

Try a regular battery charger with a pretty high rate. I have a MinnKota charger which is a trickle charger and it cannot bring back a dead battery. Decided to buy a 6Amp charger and now everything takes a charge.

yamahopper said:
these maintenance free batteries require special chargers to bring them back from the dead. optimate may bring it back. do you really want to trust it when it gets -20f.

Back