• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Be careful out there

rbig18

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
SR Viper ltx se
Just saw this posted on Maters Stop-n-go’s Facebook page. Alger County in the UP. Apparently one dead and one in serious condition.

“Hearing reports of the first snowmobile fatality of this season, very sad to hear this, how about we make sure this is the only one this season, please, please slow down out there, do not drink and ride and stay on you’re side of the trail, if you cannot do this I think it’s time to find another sport, sorry to be blunt about it but I have too many family and friends out there who I know do not do these things and my son is going to be riding on his own here soon too, so come on guys/gals, be smart out there!!!”

The drinks come out once the sleds are put away for the night in our riding group, we don't night ride unless we have to.

Just saw this posted on Maters Stop-n-go’s Facebook page. Alger County in the UP. Apparently one dead and one in serious condition.

“Hearing reports of the first snowmobile fatality of this season, very sad to hear this, how about we make sure this is the only one this season, please, please slow down out there, do not drink and ride and stay on you’re side of the trail, if you cannot do this I think it’s time to find another sport, sorry to be blunt about it but I have too many family and friends out there who I know do not do these things and my son is going to be riding on his own here soon too, so come on guys/gals, be smart out there!!!”

Wardens: North Carolina man dies in snowmobile rollover in Maine
AP,

December 13, 2017

ROCKWOOD, Maine (AP) — Maine Game Wardens say a North Carolina man has become the first snowmobile fatality of the season.

Wardens say the body of 55-year-old Willard L. Hartsock, of Old Fort, was found early Wednesday near Rockwood, on a trail in Taunton and Raynham Academy Grant.

Wardens began searching after being alerted at 9 p.m. Tuesday that Hartsock hadn’t returned to the rental property where he’d been staying.

They say that it appeared the snowmobile, which weighs nearly 700 pounds, rolled onto him while he was backing away from a wet portion of trail. The death remains under investigation.

Can't say enough about being careful.

Everyone slow down snowmobiling is the greatest winter sport. But tragedies ruin the fun. Stay in your lane on the trails. Be vigilant. Wear hi viz clothing. Every little bit helps to keeps us safe on the trails.
Just beacause you may have confidence in your riding abilities doesn't mean the 12 year old girl coming around the next corner does.

Heard about someone in serious condition, but the death is new to hear.

This past weekend in the Keweenaw proved to me that there really are some riders that have no safety or regards to other people/riders on the trail.

Trail 3, Lake Linden trail - Coming down the trail at a good pace, 5-6 snowmobilers on both sides of the trail, sitting there. They were riding off trail and just parked them there. Told the one guy to move the sleds to one side....he said ok and we took off. Talked to some friends coming down the trail the other way and they said they ran into the same group of snowmobilers...they told them to move also. Nope, they never moved.

Twin Lakes - one of my sleds lost an idler wheel. While fixing it, sleds were ripping by without a care in the world.

Parkview Lodge Twin Lakes - Whoever the a$$hat was riding his POS loud 2 stroke sled, doing wheelies next to everyone on the bank inbetween the trail and the road..... You sir, should have had a 2x4 up against the head. As we went in to eat, he came in and grabbed his 1/2 glass of beer. Yup, should have seen that coming.

Take it easy and be safe

upload_2017-12-18_12-7-11.png

Any updated info on snow conditions in the UP? :sled1::sled1:

There have been a few machines here in Ontario already go through the ice. Don't know what people are thinking, lakes have just started freezing.
They pulled a guy out on the weekend who was 60 yrs old off to the hospital with hypothermia. Sounds like he got lucky.
MS

Never ride on body of water unless we have to......yes early season still but looks like the UP in the next couple days will be having nice winter weather. So any updates in the UP on either side of the lake with snow conditions? Dying to get out New Years wkend

Never ride on body of water unless we have to......yes early season still but looks like the UP in the next couple days will be having nice winter weather. So any updates in the UP on either side of the lake with snow conditions? Dying to get out New Years wkend

Houghton up to Copper Harbor is perfect. Houghton south to Mass City was low snow conditions and a few water/mud holes.

I think this is a pretty accurate assessment of the Keweenaw peninsula

Screenshot_20171219-123257-640x380.png

it gets more dangerous all the time. modern sleds are a factor for sure the suspensions are so good that speeds are higher than ever .years ago 2 sleds might meet on a corner at 25-30 MPH now some of these guys are taking the same turn at 45 .your chance of reacting to that is greatly diminished I have had several near misses where people have almost hit me head on and I ride right on the right edge of the trail .I ride a lot in N.H the trails are tight and twisty lots of blind corners. I prefer night riding because you can see the other guys headlight through the trees before you get into the corner. day time you've got no idea.

Back