• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt life...How many miles should they last??

RSVECTORFREAK

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Vector ER
Well after getting the noise reduction kit on my vector I noticed that I was getting belt squeal bad for the first 200 miles on a new belt. After 900 miles my sled ripped half the top skin off the belt. Is this normal belt life on these machines and could something be out of alignment casuing the belt to prematurely shred. My 2 previous belts I screwed up by leving the parking brake on so I don't have a good feeling of how many miles I should be getting.

I have over 2,000 miles on my belt... I adjusted the secondary height at around 1,000 miles to accomodate the intial wear.

Belt is still in spec dimensionally...

I am studded ride aggressively and occasionally drag race on lakes... all of which beat belts...

A new belt will sqeal at idle for a couple of hundred miles until seated in (normal). If broken in properly your belt should last 2000 to 3000 miles. If your using stock belts. After market belts will last 500 to 1000 miles and explode.

PS - you should check clutch alignment, mine was spot on from the factory.

Oak Hill said:
A new belt will sqeal at idle for a couple of hundred miles until seated in (normal). If broken in properly your belt should last 2000 to 3000 miles. If your using stock belts. After market belts will last 500 to 1000 miles and explode.

PS - you should check clutch alignment, mine was spot on from the factory.
#$%&*

1200 miles on original belt. Everything still in spec including belt/sheave measurement.

I added the three cooling vents on the clutch guard like another gent did here and I swear when the temps are warmer and I'm going slower (pulling kids around the yard), I dont get ANY belt squeal not does the clutch start to feel "mushy" (hard to describe). I think it's a good thing to do and it's cheap.

WTF ive blown 4 belts in 4200 miles, i think my clutches are out of alignment. They must be.

Wow those are some heavy duty miles. I think it's time to check alignment if thats the case. I only use yamaha belts also.

No one mentions the belt direction on these belts if you put it on backwards you will destroy it right away. They are designed to run one way and the direction arrow on the Yamaha belt is right beside the part number.

I have put just over 7,000 miles and only on my second belt. The first one is my spare and still in spec.

I like to use one belt until it rides a little low in the sheaves. I then put on a new one and do the same.

Then I adjust the sheves with the washers so the old belts are at proper height in the sheaves. I then use these two belts up until they are out of spec.

With the milage I am getting out of these belts on this RS, I figure I will get over 12,000 miles on the two belts minimum.

I have 6500 miles on my belt. It still looks like new and within specs...I will change it next year regardless.

Back