• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Squeal on Vector AFTER Clutch Noise Fix

aVenture said:
BTW QCRider, belt squealing on your machine (even if its caused by a too tight ajustment) tell me also that your clutch plates are clean & the belt is healthy. Dirty plates (usually black mark or shiny/glossy spots) have a lower friction coefficient thus higher slippering (not good) and higher temperature generated..... and does not squeal before you smell rubber in the case of unordinary load like getting out of hole or towing another sled.

Be careful as well of the bending of your belt. During off season the belt stays stuck around the primary (close radius) and this long time bend can shows a bit of 'memory' then mislead you up until you get few good working miles to it then it straiten by itself. A difformed belt (temporarely) would caused this noise as it tend to shorten the resulting lenght of the belt. Hey... have you ever swapt a belt for the spare one (yes.. the one cooked on the spare belt clip on the drive guard) at -30 in the trail? Do not be surprise if you hear it bad to the point you compare the part#.

The is no definite theories here and these observations apply more or less as sled/case dependant but you know, i've been sledding for 20 years.... still learning and i get a lot of fun out of it.

We write a the same time :D it is a good point aVenture ;)!

Alain

Removing spacers will lower the belt (what you propably need Quote Alain

My dealer had me cleaning the primary with lacquer cleaner and it made no differance until I read your post and removed the washers , Thanks for the suggestion

I thought maybe after putting some miles on the belt after the fix was done the squeal would go away but I have over 200 on the new belt and it is squealing awful. I guess it's time to shime the secondary. Another PITA!

Back