• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt squeel

Sledhead_BR

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Vector LTX GT
1997 VMAX XTC
2005 AC 120
I changed my belt this year with a Yamaha 8dn same oem belt that I have always rode. My first ride out I had belt squeel at idle and running at lower speeds. When I had a look and twisted the secondary by hand it is squeeking which I never heard before. What would cause this it's like something needs to be oiled??

Thanks

I changed my belt this year with a Yamaha 8dn same oem belt that I have always rode. My first ride out I had belt squeel at idle and running at lower speeds. When I had a look and twisted the secondary by hand it is squeeking which I never heard before. What would cause this it's like something needs to be oiled??

Thanks
Thought I would add that I removed the belt and when I twist the secondary back and fourth there is a definite squeel on the shaft. Is there a lube point somewhere? Sled was apart at the end of last year with a bulk head change by the dealer

image.jpg The squeel was coming from other side bottom of brake and seems to be rubbing slightly touch of wd stopped it right away. Also what are the two grease nipples for at the top? image.jpg

They are not grease nipples but brake bleeders.. Use them when you need to change brake fluid etc.. MM.

You need to change the 3 shims that are in your secondary. Your secondary is closed up too much at idle. Do a search...you'll find out how.....it's easy.

I wrote a whole deal about a month ago on it.

That squeal you hear is from your belt rubbing on the primary clutch. Belt squeal at idle is pretty much normal once the clutch faces warm up. I come to expect it after putting on a new belt, even though I have removed all my spacers and belt deflection is good. Generally after about 500 kms it goes away. Just another small issue with these sleds, which there are many I have found over the years.

That squeal you hear is from your belt rubbing on the primary clutch. Belt squeal at idle is pretty much normal once the clutch faces warm up. I come to expect it after putting on a new belt, even though I have removed all my spacers and belt deflection is good.

Disagree totally..........

As mentioned above, try the shims first. If this doesn't work, get your clutch center to center dimension checked. This has to be rechecked/adjusted when doing a bulkhead, a good dealer will do this, but I have seen many dealers not do it.

Thanks for all the replys. I meant to post the solution the day after but never got to it. I hate to admit my stupidity but here it is..it was the parking break that was on. Obviously it is a little loose/weak as it did not seem to leg much but I only when around the block pretty much. Once off no more squeel.

Thanks for all the replys. I meant to post the solution the day after but never got to it. I hate to admit my stupidity but here it is..it was the parking break that was on. Obviously it is a little loose/weak as it did not seem to leg much but I only when around the block pretty much. Once off no more squeel.

Well, I'll admit I've done the same thing. Just one thing, PLEASE keep WD40 or anything similar AWAY from the clutches!

I was once told to wash a new belt in water with a few drops of dishwashing detergent, towel dry it and leave it overnight to dry completely. The reason being to get all the oil and residue off the belt from the manufacturing process and speed the belt break in. Made sense to me.

I was once told to wash a new belt in water with a few drops of dishwashing detergent, towel dry it and leave it overnight to dry completely. The reason being to get all the oil and residue off the belt from the manufacturing process and speed the belt break in. Made sense to me.

Yep, I forget the name they call it, "release agent" maybe?? But it is on all belts, or at least the Yammy belts, and it should washed/scrubbed off with hot soap and water prior to installation.

Back