• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent Spindle on Attak

I know it’s a PITA to bend the a-arms (replaced one side on my RX-1), but if they were stronger, you have a bigger chance bending the bulkhead. Bulkhead is much more work and expensive replacing.

Dan

Valid point Dano, but I'm not really riding as hard as I will once it's broke in. Can't afford a-arms every weekend.

Yamaha has stated that they do not believe that there is a problem with the durability of the spindles or a-arms (I remember them also saying that a problem did not exist with the w-arms :drink: ).

At any rate, I had to file an insurance claim and pay my deductible ($500). I would not have a problem with this, if I thought I hit something like a rock and caused the problem. However, I do not believe this to be the case. I do remember landing hard into the face of a bump (on trail); but this will happen countless times each year.

I will be the first to admit, and 4fighter will confirm, that I push a sled hard. However, I fully expect a 10K performance sled to be able to withstand most styles of riding, including encountering different types of trail conditions (It is not like I am riding my Attak on a snow cross track - although I would like to :D ).

At any rate, it will be interesting to see whether others have a similar problem as more miles are ridden (Nitro maybe?). I hope that my experience was simply a stoke of bad luck. If not, I hope that Yamaha steps up to the plate.

Does anyone think that the rider forward position may be placing additional stress/body weight on the front of the sled? Although the Attak corners great, at times it is more difficult to turn the handlebars - which may be caused by the weight shift forward? What do you think - am I way off base?

Bent mine too. But, I have to say it was well deserved. I came over a hill and went down into a hole (went over the handlebars). With all the force of the sled going into that hill on I just cannot see how anything else would have held up either. But still strange to hear so many others have done it too.????

FWIW; The bent A arms I've seen (mostly on Cat's and Doo's) have not been caused by hitting a huge bump, rut or rock "directly". The damage is done when there is a 'sideways' component to the impact. eg; making a sharp turn on a snow covered street and having the outside edge of the outside ski bump up against a curb. It doesn't take much of a bump to take trash A arms.

BTW; you can get a complete chromoly front end A arm kit from MPI for about the same price as the OEM upper and lower A arms for ONE SIDE.

UltamateWarrior, I had the same type of experience as you and the same post tragedy opinion.

JDKRXW, If I had wanted the quality of Arctic Crap or Pee Doo, that is what I would be riding. This is not what I expect from Yamaha.

I believe that most of the "Blue" crowd has the same level of expectation.

I believe Yamaha is out to beat the competition, not join them.

Attachments

• DSC00629.jpg
    DSC00629.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 46
RedRX1 said:
UltamateWarrior, I had the same type of experience as you and the same post tragedy opinion.

JDKRXW, If I had wanted the quality of Arctic Crap or Pee Doo, that is what I would be riding. This is not what I expect from Yamaha.

I believe that most of the "Blue" crowd has the same level of expectation.

I believe Yamaha is out to beat the competition, not join them.

I'm sorry but your supposed "Arctic Crap" arms are a hell of lot stronger than what I'm reading here.

I ride Yamaha and don't know what the thrill is in knocking other brands at every chance. This notion that Yamaha is above other brands is bull. They all have problems some more and some less, new models, new problems. Sorry for the rant.

Brought the sled in so dealer could look at my spindle and a-arms. We start to take it apart and find the lower front bushing all but gone, inner bushing cracked, bolt a little bent up. Yamaha will not cover repairs, says it is from impact, there is not one impact mark on either a-arm so i am not sure what caused it to happen.

Checked my brother in laws sled today (06 attak also) his lower left rear bushing partialy gone, could this be a (the) problem.

Everyone should check their bushings and see if any of it is missing, I dont think this is normal.

My insurance company indicated that if I file a claim, they will drop me. State Farm apparently has a rule that if you file two "rider fault" claims within 5 years they will drop your policy. My last claim was 4 years 11 months ago. :die At any rate, I had to pay the entire amount (both A-arms and spindle).

My RTX and I took a little "dinger" off of a 4' high boulder wall at like 5mph or less and went nose first straight down. I went over the bars/windshield and the sled nose dived into the frozen ground. I had soil stuck to the front bumper and ski tips-it hit/dug in pretty hard-and everything seems just perfect. I was just creeping along in an area that I shouldn't really have been and didn't know were I really was at about 10pm=very dark and all of a sudden............wham no ground under me-----scared the sh*t out of me and I was sure that A-arms would be screwed up, but they are not, so I have to believe that some of you may have caught something a little harder that you may think ====Just my opinion.

Back