• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bergstom Set Up Awesome

82SRX500

Pro
Website
www.toizrit.com
Guys,

Finally have a minute to post the thoughts on the awesome set up I got from Scot Bergstom of Bergstom Skegs. I was having the terrible ski darting on my Apex GT. Scot educated me on the Shimming which I had no clue to what it meant. Then he sold me the triple point carbides, combined with the Ski savers and the shims. Set the sled up just like he said. ZEROOOOOO Ski dart, awesome corning traction. $150 total cost and the carbides are not wearing out in front anymore.

I highly recommend this set up triple point carbides. He uses one continuous carbide compared to segemented pieces like most others. How many times have you removed your old carbides to see large chunks or segments missing.

82SRX500,

Stock ski's I assume?

What length of carbides on the Bergstrom runners?

Do you run studs? If so how many .

What thickness shim did you put in?

I toally agree with you 82SRX500. I put the 8" triple point on my GT, and it rails. I don't care if it's glare ice, the sled goes where you direct it, without any slippage. Although stock setup was very good, there was a little push in the corners with the stock carbides, it didn't dart at all. I think this was the setup in the suspention that I changed.

Riceburner, these are stock ski's, used the .25 insch ski savers, but have not used the shims. The set up is so good I don't think I will unless I notice the front of the rod wearing too much. I've taken all the preload off the front, pulled the limiter up one notch and set the adjuster to min. I've since moved the adjuster up to quarter and I'm goingto move it up some more to get more transfer. The 144 studs are not hooking up well but there is no tippyness to the sled.

I was at a club function last weekend, two Ski-Doo Rev riders wanted to try the sled. Both pulled their helment off when they got back and were grinning ear to ear. They could not stop talking about the sled in power, suspention and handling. We talked for about an hour. I think there are two converts.

Ron

Thanks for the post Ron.

With all the talk about ski's and people having issues here,
I thought I was the only person in the world who felt their GT was darn good with the stock set up. I did go over it and make sure everything was to specifications and a few things were off from the dealer.

Like you, my only issue was a little push in the corners. A little tracking but no darting. Thats it , otherwise perfect. [Other than the weak handwarmers]

I only have 96 Megabytes in the center and the sled is used by my wife when she rides so will probaly go with 6" Bergstroms and the savers.

My Warrior is shimmed. The GT, stock, no shims, is like having power steering vs the Warrior with no power assist. ;)!

I would not want to do that to the GT . My wife does not have the strength she used to because of a stroke during brain surgery. Like you, I dont think it needs shims and I have not even backed off the front springs yet.

Enjoy, :Rockon:

:yam:

Dave

The Bergstroms I bought were 8" Triple Points. I run 144 studs on all belts not just down the middle. I used the .25 shim from Bergstrom. Balanced out the skis perfectly along with the ski savers. I run stock skis. The sleds dart ski was horrific until this set up even with 8" carbides.

The sled is now incredible and does not tip at all and does not dart ski AT AT ALL. The only time it may get tippy is if I have to counter correct on a sloppy corner. Had this happen about three times in 1200 miles. Not bad. I have left the rear ski stock. I did adjust the rebound on the rear shock to 10 clicks back from 31. I read this early in December. Really was nice in this position. I am not that knowledgeable on damping, rebound, etc..... I just know that I went about two to three clicks firmeron the dampening and the rebound for the front shocks if I recall. This eliminated all the roll I was encountering in the corners. If the shocks are set stock up front and your turn hard the sled will sway. Firm it up and it is on rails. My opinion and I am a novice on this suspension stuff. No need to buy $500 skis when you can fix the problem quite cheaply and have better life on your carbids.

Thanks for the info and report.

I agree with you about the stock ski with one exception.

Watch yourself if you are ever on soft snow with a frozen crust
on top. Very dangerous. Sled is almost unridable.

Rice

I put the 6" Triple Points on my Attak and shimmed the skis. Same results as you in that this combination eliminated 95% of the darting. The other 5% is fine because you will experience some darting if riding in a large group. The first 400 miles on the stock setup, I was all over the trail like a drunken sailor. It was really dangerous. After the Triple Points and shims, no more darting.

Back