• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Apex ride with Star

yamadoo

Yamadoo is a snowmobile ' aholic'.
Country
USA
Snowmobile
15 Viper STX DX red/white- GPS and KING AIR suspension 4kmiles
13 Apex XTX 45 anniversary RED/WHITE/BLACK 3K miles
10 Vector LTX Blue 9kmiles
11 Venture GT 4k miles
86 SnoScoot(2) for grand kids
I have a 13 APEX XTX that I love the motor, handling with Sno trackers is good, but not near the plush ride I have on my Viper, or on buddies Winders or Doo’s . I have not ridden new Poo’s but suspect they are plush.

I have the Star suspension upgrade, haven’t changed the seat. Thinking of adding height to seat to get a less knee flex position

Besides seat and rebuild the shocks anything short of M20 air you guys would recommend ?

Last edited:

I have a 13 APEX XTX that I love the motor, handling with Sno trackers is good, but not near the plush ride I have on my Viper, or on buddies Winders or Doo’s . I have not ridden new Poo’s but suspect they are plush.

I have the Star suspension upgrade, haven’t changed the seat. Thinking of adding height to seat to get a less knee flex position

Besides seat and rebuild the shocks anything short of M20 air you guys would recommend ?

One of the reason I went back to riding my Apex xtx was for the plush, smooth ride, Sidewinder is like driving and riding a harsh bulldozer down the trail. I would check to make sure you have the star kit adjusted and installed correctly and all parts are lubed and move freely.

The WRP seat made a massive difference on my 07 Attack. I’m 6 feet tall and 180lbs. It made the sitting to standing transition much better and I don’t feel as beat up after a day of riding. I still like my Yamacat 7000 better for all day long bumpy trail riding, but the WRP seat on the Attack definitely breathed some new life into the sled.

It might be best to just bite the bullet and get the M20. I added it to my 2012 Vector a few years ago and it really rides well. I also have a 2016 Viper and last year I rode the Vector almost as much.

Doesn’t Star have special Valving for the shocks with his Star mod? How do guys like the kit with valving? Valving can make all the difference in the world. I just don’t know what he does with that kit.

It's MY old skid and it's been properly installed . Their rear valving, shortened front shock ,spring and valving. It will never be a PLUSH suspension. Monoshock properly sprung and valved is PLUSH. Just won't take the BIG g out bumps like the XTX skid. Airwave M20, PLUSH, all the time. Decent transfer, much like a properly adjusted Mono. Doesn't transfer at ALL like the XTX skid. It is what it is Mark' a good all around suspension with some limitations. Maybe Cannondale with his experience valving shocks could help SOME, but it'll NEVER be a Mono or an M20. BEEN THERE,DONE THAT, GOT A THOUSAND HOLES IN MY TUNNEL TO PROVE IT LOL!

PS, Donwhat Snowfever said. The stock seat SUCKS compared to a WRP . Spend a lil more money Mark and then ride it til it dies!!!

PS, Donwhat Snowfever said. The stock seat SUCKS compared to a WRP . Spend a lil more money Mark and then ride it til it dies!!!

Thanks Dave that’s what I thought just hoping for something new. Will be thinking about seat change
Hope your having a great summer.

I liked the ride and handling of the XTX stock. It was the studder bumps. The little choppy bumps one after the other that the stock suspension has a problem with. Solution was slow down or just hammer it. So I put the star kit in. Now it rode so much better in the chop and as good or near as good in the real hard bumps. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to (and it was not that hard too) was the transfer with an uncoupled skid. I have rode the cat chassis but I have to sit on the back edge of the seat and handling is not that great there, every bump wants to kick me forward and for me that is pain city. I have been thinking of going back to stock XTX for a season just because I really liked the handling and the linked skid. Would put up with the chop abuse. Now if I could get a ZX2 144 skid I'd drop that in as I loved it in the Warrior.

If you ever wanted to go with the M-20 you would have to change the track also. That suspension is only available now with the king set up at 137". I'm sorry, I just checked the M-20 goes up to 141"

Last edited:
I liked the ride and handling of the XTX stock. It was the studder bumps. The little choppy bumps one after the other that the stock suspension has a problem with. Solution was slow down or just hammer it. So I put the star kit in. Now it rode so much better in the chop and as good or near as good in the real hard bumps. The only thing that took a bit of getting used to (and it was not that hard too) was the transfer with an uncoupled skid. I have rode the cat chassis but I have to sit on the back edge of the seat and handling is not that great there, every bump wants to kick me forward and for me that is pain city. I have been thinking of going back to stock XTX for a season just because I really liked the handling and the linked skid. Would put up with the chop abuse. Now if I could get a ZX2 144 skid I'd drop that in as I loved it in the Warrior.

Yeah I remember you liked that ZX2.
Joe - Red Beard- has Put IN several M20 AIRS and he and the guys I’ve ridden with it love the PLUSH, only down side seems to be lack of transfer / weight shift. AS I get older plush is starting to trump ski lift.

I can sure live with the Apex XTX with Starr the way it is, just always hoping for BETTER ride, love the sled other wise.

i have a 2011-2012-2014 xtx apex with star and his valving they are perfect except for the transfer is to much uncoupled when turning with throttle
so i just let off or feather in corners
whoops and big bumps just hold wot
but they are perfect now i couldnt ride them stock

ps i installed the linkage backwords or upside down on the 1st one and it was hard as hell it didnt take long to figure out it was wrong

Back