• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Primary clutch split collar thickness on RX-1 .010-.080

Frostbite

TY 4 Stroke God
On my MSRX I went to thinner split collars to allow the primary clutch sheaves to engage the belt without having to move .080 to actually come in contact with the belt. I thought this would help while trying to engage the clutches and move at slow speeds while boondocking through the deep mountain powder. As far as I am concerned it was a great success. Now on my RX-1 I am thinking the same thing. It has to cut down on wear of the entire drive train because the jarring from a rather rapid clutch engagement is reduced down to what ever belt gap you'd like. Here's my question. I would think you'd want the gap as small as possible without belt dragging. The .010 collars appear to be the thinnest available on up to .060 through the aftermarket. I think the stock collars are .080. Is this the way to go or the .020 I used on my MSRX? Come on you racer types help me out on this one. Powder Blue

Split collars

PB, I know we discussed this last year. Go With the 20's or 30's and if you are not happy, you can always use a belt sander and a caliper to fix your problem. You are definitely looking where you should be. Good luck, I know you can make it work! 8)

Thanks Buckeye. I'm going to measure the gap I have with a new belt and buy the sheave that leaves me very little gap. I am guessing it will be much thinner than stock. Hey, at least I got one answer :lol: PB

Thanks Treewhacker. I'd still like to try to get over there this winter. Last winter was a non winter in our area and we are hoping for a real winter this year.
I will probably use the thinnest collars available and leave roughly .015 between the belt and the sheave.One little tidbit is I guess we COULD use the 89L or the sticky 87X belt without using the new collars. These belts I believe are a little wider than the 8DN but not nearly as durable.
I ordered a Dayco/Carlise Ultimax 3. I was a little late to pick it up today but I'll get it Monday. The cheapest place I found was an autoparts store. They retail for $69 and I am getting one for $48 (with my military discount). So, check your local autoparts store if you want to try a Dayco belt before you pay the dealers price. Sorry to drift off the topic. Powder Blue

Does anyone know the thickness of the stock RX01 split collars? I found the ones that were stock on my MSRX. They mic at .140
Is that thinner than the RX-1 collars? If the stock RX-1 collars are .200 then this is the thickness I would get if I purchased the collars that are .060 thinner.
Help. Powder Blue

Back