• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Skid plate for a nytro

here's my solution, two piece skid plate. i used yamaha's skid plate (not float plate), cut the nose section off, installed that on the front for sheer cosmetics only.

take the remainder of the plate down to a local fab shop, with oem under cover. tell them to bend you plate up out of atp (aluminum tread plate, also known as diamond plate) or standard alum plate (1/8" thick)

the larger of the two pieces you took to them will be your width and length, with the same flip at the front of the smaller of the two. install a rivnut like the one that holds the plate on the bottom where the oem unit filps up in the front. use a screw to secure the front of the plate. use the 4 provided screws to retain the "new" aluminum plate you had fabbed up.

i had the shop only build the plate flat, i curved up the lower front edges to mate to the body panels only my own with a pair of channel locks. (yeah crude i know but it works). there was alot of bending and fitting, rebend and fit ect... to get the right fit. the alum bends tough but it will bend with the right persuasion.

no more snow build up to worry about, all but the harshest impacts will be protected by the aluminum. and you still have a colored nose cone protector. if you really wanted to get fancy, you could send your new aluminum plate to welterracer on here and have his company (ty sponsor) half baked coatings, powdercoat it in your choice of colors.

this was the best solution for me as i cannot stand the look of the float (shovel) plate. i believe my idea to be better looking, stronger, and more functional than anything out there for under body protection for the fx nytro sleds. but that is only my opinion. i've built two of these so far, one for mine, and one for the wife's mtx. no problems at all, no more worrying about ice snow build up, pushing my skidplates off, and wrecking the plastics.

ski

Attachments

• t_100_1420_675.jpg
    t_100_1420_675.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 100_1419.JPG
    100_1419.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 158
  • t_100_1428_177.jpg
    t_100_1428_177.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 136

Cutting float plate...

that is a great idea... it would not give you any engine protection (I heard the oil filter is suspect) but it would provide the extra ski like lift in powder... I will look at that over the weekend. I also heard guys are using U bolts to secure. Might be another thing to do if you cut the plate a bit.

i believe the alum plate will do a far better job of protecting the oil pan and oil filter area under the motor in any impact, than any plastic piece.

you do not remove the stock plastic under plate with the alum brace in it when you do any of the plates. this will only strengthen the under side from impacts. ski

Back