• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best way to patch heat exchanger

welding... :-o

seriously though, do you really want to screw around with a fix that might or might not hold, as the result of even a relatively minor leak is potentially a totaled engine?

We have patched one of our race sled's with JB weld a couple times.
For a trail sled I would find a good Aluminum welder and pressure check it when finished. Should be fine. Make sure you unhook the ground from battery when welding.

I hit a tip up on a lake that was left abandoned with no markings (thanks for that one) and it put a good size puncture in my heat exchanger under the foot well. I was up north ridding and the local welding shop wanted more then i was able to spend at the time to fix it right with a proper presure test and removing all the antifreeze. so i went to autozone and got a stick of the stuff that is like a putty that you rip off a chunck and kneed it together and i pushed it into the hole so it was both in and out of the hole and spread it wide on the outside. I did this out side in the parking lot at hotle so it was cold and i actualy had to start the sled a few times to heat up the heat exchanger so the puddy would set and sit out there and hold it for about an hour but it did set and i had intended to get it fixed proper later but i forgot and that putty held for 3500 miles and i traded it in. I think a proper weld and presure test is the best but in a pinch it worked and worked well. became the permanant fix on that sled and I bet it is still holding today and being rode on the trails in the up and the new owner prolly dont even know its there.

The best way is to weld it.

The easiest way is epoxy/jb weld

Used jb weld on mine 7-8000 miles ago. Still going strong,
no issues at all

Find a guy who specializes in aluminum radiator welding. It shouldn't cost much. He will likely want it removed from the sled which can be a pain, but ask first.

A buddy of mine used Cold Weld last year on his RX1. It is a patch type product and has held up extremely well in all conditions.

I just had my welded on my 2009 nytro....remove the skid, track and drive shaft. Drain all the anitfreeze (if there's any left) disconnect the battery and bring it to a good aluminum welding shop. They should be able to pick it up with the back bumper and weld her up for you.

I have mine apart and back together in 2 days....

Back