• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another overheating nytro

Anthonynytro

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Yamaha nytro xtx
2007 Yamaha Phazer GT
Hello all, I've searched through the long list of overheating posts for the nytro but besides adding another heat exchanger to correct this issue I thought I'd ask about my problem.

So last weekend here in Ontario Canada it was -14 and the snow was dusty every 5km I had to stop because the sled was over heating... I would tip it over and clean the heat exchanger and do this again and again and again...
So I removed the hood and strapped it to my back back. And I never saw the light again.
Temps went from 212 to 168.
I know these sleds have vent problems I already installed the gauge vent and it didn't seem to help.
Is there a headlight relocation or another way to get more air through the radiator?

is the fan coming on on the rad?

is the fan coming on on the rad?
I'm not really sure, I can manually turn it on in diagnostic mode So I know the relay and motor work, but I'm not sure if it's actually turning on

Get yourself one of these:
and

This will give you actual temps so you can be proactive before it overheats (i.e. you grab some loose snow just off the trail).

(Edit: Just reread your post and saw you already have a way of reading temps.)

Nytros are known for getting hot easily as they don't have enough cooling. Barn of Parts sells a kit to add a second fan to the rad which helps a little. This is a big motor and it only has the front tunnel cooler and tiny rad to cool it. Comparatively, I have the front, side runner and a rear heat exchanger and I added an Apex rad and fan which actually doesn't do much.

A longer snow flap helps a ton as well
20220115_141942.jpg

Mo Flo vent kit has worked well for me. I'm in MN and run the Nytro when the temps are in the 40s (Fahrenheit) on March rides. I have never had the temp light come on.

I utilize a handful of different items to keep temps down - Mo-Flow vent kit, Mountaintech IP vent kit, and a set of Skidoo rail mounted scratchers. I started with just the Mountaintech IP vent and I can tell you it lets a lot of heat out! I added the Mo-Flow kit later down the line because I found it on eBay as a NOS for like $75 vs. the $200+ retail pricing.

I've only had the temp warning light come on once - it was basically a dirt logging road for what seemed like miles...

I had similar issues with mine - check your fuse for the fan. If the fan is not coming on, and you are in less than ideal snow conditions - the front heat exchanger cant keep up.

Just run the sled and let it get hot, and listen for it.

Also, i modified the top console with the mo flo vent kit. That was a game changer because when letting the sled idle, the fan could draw good cold air through it - it extended idle times signifcantly.

MS

I ran a Nytro for many years, only once did I ever have the heat light come on.
Something wrong for it to be overheating on a regular basis.

A Mo-Flow console vent is a must. I know a lot of people add the MTX tunnel cooler. I looked at that but its expensive. I choose to add BOP fan kit which adds an Apex fan in addition to your Nytro fan. Its a great kit, plug an play. In 4,000 miles with the Mo-Flow vent and since I add the fan kit the only time my temp light came on was when the snow conditions were just right to ice over the forward tunnel cooler. I cleaned if off once and had no issues the rest of that trip. G.B.

Back