• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best way to straighten handle bar?

Bought and installed a used Apex 2006 Handle bar assembly to inprove the hand warmer situation, BOY that sure cures the warmer problem. After installing the handle bars I noticed the left side of the bar hand grip is quite higher than the right side, probably got tweeked.

My question is would it be best to try to straighten the bar cold or with low heat applied.

Would appreciate some input from a Ty member who has delt with this situation.

Well, this is kind of a no win situation for you to be honest. I would warm them up with a MAP/LP torch. Just a few hundred degrees though, then carfully bend them back. The problem is that the bar is already weakend and will likely bend again. Depending on how you ride you may never have a problem, but if you ride hard the load may bend the bar again.

2006 Apex Tweeked Handle Bar

Thank you for the reply.
These are not really bad but I'm a fussy guy and just happened to notice .
Most would utilize them and be content.
I'm a very honest person and will sell them with the problem noted.
Boy they sure cure the hand grip heat problem.

I would check to see if maybe the bushings in the steering post are worn. If it's not off by much it may just be a tip from side to side. Also the bolts that hold the bushings in place may be jacked to one side.

Don't let any say you can't straiten bars, I rolled my Apex and the bars were bent one side to the tank..heated the bend red hot and lifted to original possition, let cool on its own (don't use water or it will weaken the bars)

BTW I'm 260 lbs geared up and ride very hard...bars didn't move afterwards

Bent mine last winter. I hooked up the bent side grip to a winch that was attached on the ceiling, positioned the machine and strap in the right spot, and lifted slowly with the winch. The bend came right out and no visible stress marks. I suspect there would be some weakening however it never bent again and no problems. It would probably bend easier with a similar hit. I bent mine when I slid sideways into a hard snowbank. It seemed like nothing however when I got back to the garage the right side handlebar was bent down about 2 inches!! It doesn't take much to bend the hollow tube if hit at the right angle.

Back